Need advice on how to texture mountainous landscape

Go to solution Solved by Cerbera,

I'm trying to use a simple gradient that will automatically apply across altitude in the Y axis.  I have tried using a landscape mask and I can't get it to change it's mapping onto the landscape.  All I want is a simple color gradient that I can add knots to, making super high altitudes white for snow and super low, blue for water, etc.  This should be simple but every search I enter, gives me stuff that does not apply.  Can anyone guide me in the right direction to learn how to do this?  So frustrated.

• Solution

Yes - this should be ridiculously simple. You simply have to apply the gradient correctly - ie in a planar mode most usually, and perpendicular to the base of the landscape. Below I am in texture mode so I can see the direction of the planar projection, and the Gradient is set to V, so the bands are horizontal.

image.png.3133da20c3a29632fbfcb88022dc91be.png

Now, if you just want bands of colour that's fine, but you should also have a look at the terrain shader, which contains additional controls for producing snow-like noise around the transitions. This also tends to look quite low res and old-school initially, until you also activate some high detail bump in your texture, which then transforms it into these sort of much more detailed and realistic results....

Mountains-016b.jpg.069b687000f25049b1bc24a47c657abf.jpg

CBR

• 4 weeks later...