Medical Animation Materials

Does anyone have any tips and tricks for doing wet subcutaneous tissues like muscles, bone, nerves, fats, etc. ? Pancreas1.jpg
1.jpg

I've been digging around the web and the closest keyword that seems to bring up anything is "gore".   I couldn't really find any seamless texture packs on the major free material libraries.  Is it not something you can procedurally do inside of C4D?  Beyond a basic understanding of subsurface scattering for skin, I'm a little clueless.  All of the tutorials I've found on it are usually utilizing external texturing software like Substance Painter or plugin renderers like Octane or Redshift.  For now, all I've got is C4D and Blender to work with.

Yes. All these types of surfaces can be made, mostly procedurally using Cinema's excellent noises and layer sets. Even if you only have Physical Render that will still produce decent results, though it will take a while doing it...

The key textural elements to make sure you fully understand are Subsurface Scattering, Reflectance, transparency, alpha and Bump / Normal displacement. If you can use those channels effectively, together with colour and luminance of course, that should be all you need. Oh, and of course some lighting experience, because of course half of a look comes from that too, and how it interacts with materials...

CBR

On 12/21/2021 at 2:58 PM, Cerbera said:

Yes. All these types of surfaces can be made, mostly procedurally using Cinema's excellent noises and layer sets. Even if you only have Physical Render that will still produce decent results, though it will take a while doing it...

The key textural elements to make sure you fully understand are Subsurface Scattering, Reflectance, transparency, alpha and Bump / Normal displacement. If you can use those channels effectively, together with colour and luminance of course, that should be all you need. Oh, and of course some lighting experience, because of course half of a look comes from that too, and how it interacts with materials...

CBR

Here is a test I did after watching a handful of tutorial videos. It's all based on noises
Still not quite what I wanted 🤷‍♂️ but it's in the direction I was going for.
Test.png.c3f9b7e9dab3f3c170db7ad8b9ad6434.pngTest2.png.198ccec707c1e24cf6c9d114f05451f6.png

On 12/23/2021 at 4:15 AM, HappyPolygon said:

Do you have any medical references or any references that you'd like to replicate ? maybe we could help you more having a direction

I'm going more for the softer look of the photos I originally posted above (organs, fat, and other internal tissues).  Mine was a bit too grotesque but I was just seeing if I could get a fleshy tone. It seems like medical animations in general take quite a bit of creative liberties to avoid that while also trying to stay relatively accurate. 

It's an interesting topic, as there is no defined line between how accurate a look people are going for, versus how visually attractive the result looks, or how simplified it has to be to be functionally useful to the intended audience. But achieving that softer look in your earlier references only requires a little re-balancing of elements you have you have made already. Noises need a little less clamping or contrast, colours don't need to be quite as vibrant, and lights and reflections need to be more diffuse and less harsh. Also try HDRI maps that are not real world environments and much warmer lights; very difficult to get something to look like it is a camera inside a body if we can see sunlight bouncing off the surfaces !

CBR

• Customer
11 hours ago, Keith Treason said:

It seems like medical animations in general take quite a bit of creative liberties to avoid that while also trying to stay relatively accurate. 

I've always admired the illustrations Dorling Kindersley (DK) books provide. I have no idea how they do it. So detailed, so clear, so informative, never repeated through their numerous recycled topics.

You should study their way of depicting things and try to replicate it. I think one of their principles is "no lights, no shadows", the form should be concieved only by the texture and depth by Ambient Occlusion. But of course this is just their style of depicting information tailored to be shown printed on books.

image.png.4f88c42a15120c25d1b7918acc5655d0.png

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community