Select Similar script?

Is there a  script or method to select similar objects which finds objects with similar topology, regardless of naming?  For instance, if you have a bunch of bolts on an imported mesh and every mesh is called "mesh01, mesh02, etc" but you want to select a single bolt then find and select similar objects to either group, rename, instance or even replace with another object.   I know Noseman came out with an Instantfier or something script which just instances similar objects.

I love using a script in Maya which can select meshes with similar topology and can be configured to also select similar topology regardless of scaling (for instance if a few bolts have the same topology but are scaled up).  It can also be used to select similar objects and replace with another selected object.  So similar bolts could be selected and replaced with a screw and positioned/scaled in place where the bolts were.      https://klaudio2u.gumroad.com/l/DJrav   video about it:  

If remember correctly, few years ago there was a thread about plugin with similar function (selecting similar objects by different criteria, polycount etc.) but can not find it now. But I´m sure it was on c4dnetwork forum. Maybe someone remember it too especially german users...

8 hours ago, SharpEars said:

Wouldn't be too hard to write a script to do this

What? Topological comparison? For "similar" topologies? Depends on how you define "similar" I guess, well, go ahead, try it. (The C4D API doesn't even have functions to calculate the volume of a closed manifold.)

22 hours ago, Cerbera said:

My French isn't great, but I think Selections suppletives has that - possibly 'selections de même taille' ?

https://code.vonc.fr/selections

CBR

I tried it and it seems to work specifically in edit mode (poly/point/edges) and not on objects unfortunately.    I think it'll be a great addition to my toolkit.   I'll have to test it out further.    Thanks for the find.  I always forget about Cesar's unique plugins.

Thanks all for the responses.   This stems from a project where we were given an STL which was imported as a single merged object.     Lots of selecting polys, Select Connected (U-W), TrueSplit (Shift-D) to break out objects.    TrueSplit from FCS was a life saver here.   The mesh was too dense to to a Polygon Groups to Object (now Polygon Islands to Objects in R25).    It would have killed the mac.  Finding the similar objects after the fact and regrouping them was pretty tedious.