Another EOY Shutdown - Another WIP

At the end of every year, my company makes us shut down and take PTO.  During this time, I start a new WIP because it is the only real time when I have any time to focus at all.

Here is render of the completed first phase:

WIP1.JPG.60c7238b979f6b0f03b6255c9fa63656.JPG

If you can figure out what it is from, then I have been successful.  Hopefully, I will finish this one.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

Thank you all.

The toughest part was figuring out the dimensions which was done mostly by eyeball by looking at photo's from the movies and placing the "Figure" primitive in the scene to get the scale correct.  I "hope" to not only finish the bay but to then carry it forward to an exterior view of the bay as shown in the scenes when the Falcon was approaching the landing bay.

Originally, I just wanted to do the bay but believe it or not, I found this site:  Death Star Dimensions which is going to be a huge help in modeling those exterior views.

Someone actually went through each frame of the movie and counted pixels and then compared those counts to those of the Falcon.  He/she used the scene of the Falcon passing through the air-lock portal to the bay as both objects where together and at the same position relative to the camera.  Knowing the Falcons height, he then calculated the bays dimensions and then worked backwards from there.   I am sure there is some fan-zine book out there that has all this information, but this site is free and he did all the work...sooo.....

BTW:  What prompted this WIP was tripping over the work of Alexander Ivanov at Artstation.  He is a Max modeler who has modeled some impressive SW models and sci-fi greeble packs.  I would rate his work right up there with my personal favorite: Ansel Hsiao -- the difference being that Alexander sells his models and at a really low price (especially when you can capture a 30% discount at Artstation).    The models are all in FBX format and do require some conversion work to get them into C4D (rigging, lighting, and some additional modeling around the back engine interiors which are left oddly bare given all the detail he puts into his models).   

I have always loved sci-fi modeling, so this is the sweet spot for me.

Dave

Getting there....but all I see are changes I need to make rather than things I still need to do.  The discipline to just keep going forward rather than stop and fix what has already been done is definitely something I struggle with.

Capture3.JPG.b3baa7cddfad763dcae4d845ec11f23f.JPG

The Millenium Falcon model is one that I converted from an original LW model available for free at SciFi3D.  I rigged it (landing gear) and added lighting and reuploaded back to SciFi3D.  

Back to modeling.

Dave

This fantastic!  Always fun to dip the toe into the star wars Universe.   

15 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

The discipline to just keep going forward rather than stop and fix what has already been done is definitely something I struggle with.

OH yeah, that's a tough one, but for me it's huge to keep pushing forward.   I've learned it's ok to not be perfect if you actually complete your goal.

Are you planning on doing any animation?  could be cool, haha.

Nothing like positive feedback from people I hold in very high regard (Igor, Vector, Mike, Jay) given that they are way more talented than I am to keep you going.   So I am very thankful for your feedback.

I think I am now going to move on AWAY from the front wall.  

Capture6.JPG.108e2047fdbd6735260cbe10f1f3f50a.JPG

I tossed out the previous approach of just random geometric shapes to actually using some kitbashed parts (courtesy of Alexandar Ivanov mentioned above) that I converted, textured and partially remodeled to account for FBX conversion issues and/or fit the needs of the scene.  Honestly, kitbashing is not as easy as it sounds as the goal is to make them look like they belong.  So, the thinking with each one was to think about its purpose in a docking bay: providing and recycling air, heat, decontamination, fire suppression, redundant power to keep the airlock always operational, etc.  Once I thought along those lines, stuff started to look okay to me. 

I was also using images from Aircraft carriers for inspiration, especially for how they paint everything the same color (pipes, machinery, structural supports, etc).  These images will definitely come in handy as I now approach working on the ceiling.

Also, all along I have been playing with the lighting, reflections and GI illumination.  I think I now have that at a level I am happy with.

Dave

20 hours ago, Macmangan said:

This fantastic!  Always fun to dip the toe into the star wars Universe.   

OH yeah, that's a tough one, but for me it's huge to keep pushing forward.   I've learned it's ok to not be perfect if you actually complete your goal.

Are you planning on doing any animation?  could be cool, haha.

Mike,

Absolutely will I be making an animation.  Once the ceiling is finished, I will be duplicating the shot of the Millenium Falcon entering the bay in "A New Hope".  When I saw the movie for the first time, I just loved how the airlock white lights illuminated the Falcon as it entered which was a nice subtle touch for 1977.  Amazing that I picked up on that detail.  I came to find out that when the filmed that scene, they modeled just the airlock lighting and anchored it to the motion control system.  The Falcon was locked off and did not move.  As the scene was fairly simple, the Falcon just had to appear to move forward, it was pretty easy. That become more of a problem in a later shot when the Falcon was leaving the landing bay because it had to do a 180 degree turn with a slight tilt to the left.   

Once the whole bay is done, I would then like to link it to an outside model of a section of the equatorial trench so that I can also replicate the approaching shots as well....but that is far off in the future at this point.   Again, need to find the time.  I cannot wait until I retire, and this becomes my "day job"!!!!

Dave

41 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

I cannot wait until I retire, and this becomes my "day job"!!!!

haha, great quote!  I just put in too many late nights and fall asleep at work.  I have gotten a talkin to more than once, lol

I'm excited to see the progress!  WIPs are my favorite.  I want a site of nothing but WIPs!  lol

Love all the behind the scenes research your doing.  I always watch every bit f behind the scenes for star wars I can find.  Brings me to my happy place.  I recently started to re-watch the old show Movie Magic, so many star wars episodes, its great.

Given that is the final day of the regular NFL season, I was only able to model the crane today.  For some reason, I really enjoyed adding that piece of detail...not sure why.

image.png.20454ebdda5cf635a5332a3514094677.png

Interestingly enough, it was also very dark in the original movie as well as determined from this grainy reference photo....a 720P video on YouTube was all I could find for reference

1742816528_GantryDetail.JPG.903680da6153e0adbcfb2cb0721b1983.JPG

Dave

19 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Given that is the final day of the regular NFL season, I was only able to model the crane today.  For some reason, I really enjoyed adding that piece of detail...not sure why.

image.png.20454ebdda5cf635a5332a3514094677.png

Interestingly enough, it was also very dark in the original movie as well as determined from this grainy reference photo....a 720P video on YouTube was all I could find for reference

1742816528_GantryDetail.JPG.903680da6153e0adbcfb2cb0721b1983.JPG

Dave

looking really good Dave. Nice work. keep going ! loving the way it's looking so far. let me know if you want to use my interceptor model for some test renders 😄