Lights placed by scatter placement pen, not illuminating nearby objects

Go to solution Solved by Cerbera,

I have crystals that contain both an area light that emits from the crystal itself, plus an omni light to adjust brightness and visibility.  With all of those under a single null, I have used the scatter pen to place them across the cavern floor and walls.  The original crystals I am using, both illuminate the surrounding area accurately and in a way I can control.  The duplicates around the room are not emitting light that is reflecting off of anything.  Maybe I should simplify my crystal setup itself?  Brand new to placement tools.  

I would bet that they are emitting light, you just can't see it because of the amount of default lights that are allowed in the VP, which is set in the Prefs (VP hardware) quite low by default to only 6 or so, for optimisation reasons. However you can set that to whatever you like, so that's what we should check first...

CBR

37 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I would bet that they are emitting light, you just can't see it because of the amount of default lights that are allowed in the VP, which is set in the Prefs (VP hardware) quite low by default to only 6 or so, for optimisation reasons. However you can set that to whatever you like, so that's what we should check first...

CBR

I am talking about rendered though, shouldn't they render no matter what that number in preferences says?

2 hours ago, Bovellum said:

Here's a really stripped down version, hopefully it opens fast for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ysehSorrr8s772sp48ua/SCATTERED crystals.c4d?dl=0

Sorry, here is a smaller file:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/yseh8s772sp48ua/SCATTERED crystals.c4d?dl=0

I have tried a whole bunch of things and I am thinking it just can't do it yet.   They place manually just fine if I do them one by one, but I could really use the speed of the pen.

I am not sure if Scatter pen is meant to work with lights, but agree it has problems displaying them at the time they are created with the tool. However, we can see them if we do either of 2 things next:

1. Turn on edit mode of the Scatter Pen

2. Make the Scatter object editable.

I will enquire as to whether it is a bug or not that we can't see lights when scattered as we create them. Certainly I would expect the place / dynamic place tools not to work with lights becaus they have no geometry to align.

CBR

9 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I am not sure if Scatter pen is meant to work with lights, but agree it has problems displaying them at the time they are created with the tool. However, we can see them if we do either of 2 things next:

1. Turn on edit mode of the Scatter Pen

2. Make the Scatter object editable.

I will enquire as to whether it is a bug or not that we can't see lights when scattered as we create them.

CBR

I tried both of these and I still get no illumination.  Only the master crystals are illuminating other objects.  Maybe I'm missing something?

• Solution

When you make the Scatter editable, are you remembering to change the instance mode in all of the instances to 'Instance' rather than the 'render instance' they will be on by default ? Lights have never been able to render as render or multi instances.

I am guessing that will be it, as I am able to see the illumination from every light I scatter in a new file.

CBR

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community