Select all wrong aligned (blue) normals

Go to solution Solved by Joachim Lipka,

It looks to me like someone took some very bad polygon reducer to the model and created an utter train wreck of geometry. I really don't see how there is anything can save it short of redoing it building by building (maybe a day's work) or some kind of automated remesher. If you paid anything to anyone for this mess then I would ask for my money back.

6 minutes ago, MJV said:

It looks to me like someone took some very bad polygon reducer to the model and created an utter train wreck of geometry. I really don't see how there is anything can save it short of redoing it building by building (maybe a day's work) or some kind of automated remesher. If you paid anything to anyone for this mess then I would ask for my money back.

I've seen much worse than this. Problem here is that there is so many objects here so this quantity is hard to handle manually. But Houdini is usually great with handling these types of meshes. If PolyDoctor cannot help here, nothing will.

2 minutes ago, Igor said:

I've seen much worse than this. Problem here is that there is so many objects here so this quantity is hard to handle manually. But Houdini is usually great with handling these types of meshes. If PolyDoctor cannot help here, nothing will.

Maybe, but from the sound of it (seeing flipped normals that can't be fixed by an align normals command), it's not just poly reduced geometry, but also intersecting and overlapping geometry. So personally I would just bite the bullet and fix it manually rather than going thru the rigmarole of installing new and unfamiliar software and hoping for a miracle fix. Your millage may vary.

15 minutes ago, MJV said:

Well, we paid a city for this data. We gonna create whole other cities. We don't have this kind of problems with any other cities just with this one. This is just the centre. The buildings are LOD1. And a pain in the ass...

6 minutes ago, Joachim Lipka said:

i watched this tutorial

And my result in Houdini. Looks still a bit odd.

It seems that you cant export as fbx with a free license is that right?

Houdini.PNG

You should be able to export obj files. 

9 minutes ago, Igor said:

I could give you a small part of the city. If you are able to fix it would you share your work flow?

Just now, Igor said:

You should be able to export obj files. 

All my export selctions are disabled. Or do I have to do something else ?

1 minute ago, Joachim Lipka said:

I could give you a small part of the city. If you are able to fix it would you share your work flow?

All my export selctions are disabled. Or do I have to do something else ?

Send me the small portion where things are the worst. You should be able to use ROP Geometry Output node and save it with .obj extension. 

Of course I'll share the workflow, why would I even bother if not? 🙂

Old result:

image.png

New result:

image.png

image.png

I could probably do a bit more around the poly count, but its late here and I was already in bed, so hopefully this can help until tomorrow.

And now that system is created, only thing to do is to feed in any .fbx file and system will do the rest. Then simply export and thats it.

• Solution

I got a nice work around and programmed a two sided unity shader. So both sides will show in the same color.
We dont need any textures so we are fine. The correction of the buildings would mean more polygons. That could get quite ugly for the iPads and the software we are developing.

Thank you for helping out!!

For anyone seeing this problem and wondering how I solved it inside Unity:

you could also use this asset Two Sided Shaders +URP  <- this is not my asset / shader and I dont want to advertise it either. But it will work also!

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community