Why is Redshifts displacement doing this?

Hi all

Im trying to displace a very simple piece of text onto a plinth and im using redshift as the renderer. Ive been using it now for a little while and am getting used to its quirks compared to octane and physical but the one thing i have problem with every time is using the displacement feature.

I have a simple file here that i hope someone with much better knowledge than me can help with. I have a simple piece of text in rgb with 50% grey for no disp. but black for displacing down. Ive seen on other forums including this one that when using a mid grey that you have to set the range different so it knows that grey is for nothing to happen. Only problem is when I do this it just doesn't work so does anybody out there that knows RS well can you please help me out here before I lose my mind!!

Huge thanks in advance for this as im losing my hair rapidly trying to work this one out.

disp prob.JPG

re disp.zip

Any ideas people?

Ive also had another chance to look at this today and found that by setting the grey value to 72.5% seems to help but once again goes against all the information ive found online for using RS displacement.

Ive found that RS is brilliant at some things and like octane great at giving you instant feedback and crisp textures but i hope the people who develop RS look into this at some stage as its just ridiculous that you cant setup and file with white, grey and black and expect it behave like a normal bump map should.

Redshift displacement is set up as black (0) to white (1). There are two things you need to take into account:

1. To use 50% grey as neutral, set the 'change range' in the displacement map node to:
New range min: -0.5

New range max: 0.5

2. Texture maps used as 'data' rather than 'colour info' - eg; bump, displacement etc should have a gamma value of 1 - ie: be interpreted as linear values, not sRGB (gamma 2.2). Make sure your texture node has the gamma set correctly.

I think it is point 2 that is causing you issues. That percentage correction you've made approximates the gamma change required.

Hope this helps,

Mike A

Thanks Mike A. I'll give it a go again but im pretty sure ive been down this road before. It seems to take some real extra effort to make it work correctly in RS. With all other render engines that ive used ive never had these problems as they mostly share this common feature of using the same rgb values for bumps etc, very frustrating. I love RS and its features but this really needs addressing by their developers for sure. Thanks for your input though its appreciated.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community