Airpods max modeling

Go to solution Solved by Cerbera,

• Solution

image.png.06371103d90fa5c907149459e34ccc3d.png

A I would do with regular staged subdivision surfaces (model low poly initially, then subdivide by 2 to get enough baked in resolution to get the LED and socket details.

B depends on if you want actual holes. If you do I would start with that bit (cloner / honeycomb array etc) and work out from there, again SDS.

C has SDS written all over it - you could start that with merely a cube under symmetry (SDS would get you the rounding)

D - Meshwork 1 (presuming you don't want to do it with material alpha) should be made flat (I can't get close enough to it to see what the weave is specifically), then deformed that to the shape required (FFD / various deformers).

E - Larger meshing - as above, and possibly even the same mesh rig as you used before, but scaled up, and re-conformed to the new shape.

The most challenging part is the inside holey bit - at least you are helped here by 2 way symmetry, but nothing here is too complicated as long as your game plan is solid, you are careful with edge flow and quads on the bits where it counts, and you know how to make mesh ! I can elaborate on that further if needed.

CBR

49 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

After closer inspection, that pads mesh is this... image.png.1824b305dbedd6bb36a2302752945fcf.png

Very easy to make modelled with a cloner, but much more poly efficient, and even easier to create via material I would have thought.

image.png.cb15dc9164b7483fa4e3a9281796a128.png

"Some cloned stitching, earlier"

CBR

Looks great! I have a question. Can I know how to close that polygon? Attaching the working file below.

image.png.21ab46997337b822e8ad42a3c2ce2796.png

C4DtoR_Template.c4d

Yes, that's because the polys are quite unevenly spaced. You haven't yet done  the tweaking / relaxing stage  that would beautify this surface.

HB modelling bundle HB relax would help here, as would brush smoothing that centre section.

CBR 

16 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yes, that's because the polys are quite unevenly spaced. You haven't yet done  the tweaking / relaxing stage  that would beautify this surface.

HB modelling bundle HB relax would help here, as would brush smoothing that centre section.

CBR 

I haven't use the HB modeling bundle...Do you think QuadCaps 1.0 would be working here?

Look at it from ALONG the surface, and the reason for lumpiness will become apparent.

Here's my version, doing the same thing. With your eye, follow each individual loop, and see how nice a curve you have along it.

If a curve is flowing generally in an upward arc, look for any rogue points that break that continuity, and adjust them so they don't !

Then check the same in the loops flowing in the opposite direction. If you don't have nice curves, lumps will start to show. My one below isn't perfect, but it is close enough to it to produce an A* surface under subdivision.

image.png.ca150b6663fb31ae162a5498a8b669e5.png

This way we minimize the work SDS has to do, and so it doesn't fight us...

image.png.1aca846d8444dadffff5a70e83fc6a72.png

Also note, I am able to get the same shape with fewer polygons, and that is helping me maintain those nice contiguous curves without having many points to edit - were we working in double symmetry, this would be even less  points to wrangle !

CBR