Back to making music

Adrien

On 1/26/2022 at 5:02 PM, Lonchaney said:

My youngest son was home for the holidays and he made me drag out my old 1975 Rhodes Stage keyboard for a quick play...I forgot how much fun I had with that beast. Getting back into music during the pandemic seems to be quite common these days.

Wow you got a REAL Rhodes ?! I take it the sound is worth the backache ? 🙂

CBR

Yes, I bought it in the early 80's when my daughter was taking lessons and I did not care for the new Casio's at the time. It weighs a ton from all the tuning forks/inside components but that sound is what makes it all worthwhile...now if I could only remember where I put my Leslie speaker...

1 hour ago, Mike A said:

A bit of a segway: but do any of you guys know of Synthogy's Ivory piano vst?
https://synthogy.com/index.php/products/software-products/ivory-2-grand-pianos

Yes - that one's not bad at all ! The Bosendorfer is bit ropey, tone-wise, specially at the extended low end. Overall, not as good as keyscape 😉 (IMO, but then I would say that)

Annoyingly, the guy making that demo plays nicely, but does have his system latency set too low (hence occasional clicks) and his output set too high (distortion) in all those demos ! Promise those aren't an issue on a powerful machine.

CBR

I'm not a musician myself, but the reson I mention it:  a long, long time ago... I did the original UI design and graphics on Ivory!  All the imagery - pianos, control knobs etc - built and rendered in C4D : )

https://vantagegraphics.co.uk/project/ivory-interface/

It's way overdue for a revamp and now very 'retro' - but it was good at the time LOL!

Yeah I didn't wanna use the term 'oldschool' in case it was your favourite plugin or something, but yes, sample tech has moved on a way since then 🙂

Nice to see Cinema in UI design before it took off in that field, and what you did looks great !

CBR

I think it was 2008 or so!   Yes, the layout and smaller elements / switches, minor UI items etc were done in Ps. Each page of the UI was a Ps document of many hundreds of layers.

The main piano images and things like the rotating control knobs were all built in C4D. I remember visiting a pano supplier to take measurements and shoot photo reference of the real instruments. The models were built pretty accutately. The control knobs were animated across their rotational range - perhaps every degree or so, and then rendered as an image sequence. The UI software then displayed the appropriate frame of the animation as you dragged the control in the UI.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community