Morph a cloner's objects into the positions of another cloner's objects

Hi there,

I'm struggling to distribute objects in specific pattern...

Look at the pic  : i'd like to randomly distribute these textured triangles within one cloner over a defined surface, to be able to use effectors for getting them to assemble together from under the sea and build a path.

For this rendering i used 4 cloner lines for setting the rotation right for each column, but its tedious...

Any idea ??

how to distribute this way with one cloner.JPG

• Customer

I'm afraid without SceneNodes this is the only way...
You could hack it a bit by unifying 8 triangles into one to make a square 

image.png.056e90ca81007c2f26982fc5ab7d0509.png

But this way you should manually create some combinations and feed those in only one Cloner.

Making the squares flip 180 degrees at the ZX plane would double your combinations. Unfortunately you can't flip at the YX / YZ plane because your tiles have a base thus don't have a hidden from sight second face that could help you quadruple your combinations.

I see that you may want to have control over the smallest triangles
image.png.e01bac811aa942bf46bfff897be9f0a7.png

I'm afraid my suggestion might not work with this result. Maybe a Voronoi Fracture could help (it detects whole objects if no fracture method is specified) but I'm not sure it it could work ...

I don't know what setup of 4 cloners you use to call it "tedious"
If I did it with 4 linear cloners I'd use the following with quantized rotation of 0-90 degrees with different starting tile orientation for each cloner.

image.png.aaf8d1a8e24a260d42c81bfc50603372.png

I love your patterns.

Thanks  for the concern.

You got it right : i exactly did the 4 cloner lines like you depicted it 😉

Problem is i need them as randomized as possible and individually animated for giving a buoyant effect.

There is maybe another way to achieve what i need, but i don't know how to do it :

It would be to have two sets of triangles : the one in the assembled/path configuration, and one set in the initial conditions (underwater, randomly spread)

So i think there could be a way to morph all positions/rotations of one set of triangles towards the other set, through a cloner,

but the effectors axis is centered on each clone only if the Cloner's "Fix Clone" option is ticked, which destroys the manual setup...

Last solution is to forget cloners, and have each triangle using its own effector, and have them using the same falloff passing by to reveal the triangles from underwater.

Thing is i need tons of them... doing this manually would take ages...

Thats why i was wondering how to automate this...

All the tuts i could find about morphing cloners are using randomly distributed cloners on surfaces or volumes.. which doesn't work here because i must have a precise configuration to match to.

• Customer

You could still spread them in big chunks as I suggested in the beginning and then make them editable... Do some transpositions by hand if the pattern is not random enough and toss every object the "Make Editable" command spawned into the Voronoi Fracture to animate them with Effectors and Fields.

I read this post a few times earlier and still wasn't exactly sure what you were after, a specific texture layout or random, or was it the physical layout you wanted control over. Also you only wanted to use one cloner and I couldn't manage that.

Anyway, this is what I thought you might want and I added a few effectors to illustrate a rough way of moving them in and out. I had to split the random Y into its own effector in order to use the slider and dial down its max / min on the Y so the clones dont rise above the original baseline. If you include the Xnad Z but still limit the max slider the XY movements go wildly off in one direction, hence Ive split them apart. I also put the gave the XZ some linear fall off so that they move down a bit before moving outwards, same is true of random rotate. Ive put all the position ones in a reEffector to dial them all out with one effector tho obviously the ones with falloff would probably be ok without.

I just grabbed some native c4d textures and put them in a multi shader. I may also be repeating some of what happypolygon said as I couldn't quite follow that either, think Im getting a bit old for it, one look at nodes made my head spin.

This may help or not, but it gave the braincells a workout anyway.

Deck

Screenshot 2022-01-25 at 22.35.05.png

Screenshot 2022-01-25 at 22.32.55.png

triangle clone 09.c4d

Thank you Deck !

This made me discover the fantastic benefits of fracture ! This is exactly what i was looking for.

I managed to dispatch all the triangles randomly enough (6 pairs of squares made of two triangles , distributed with a 360° plain effector using random field with 4 steps through the quantize contour mode!)

Its a bit less random but it allows me to avoid using multishader, because it doesn't work for octane displacement channel, even with baking node.

Now using re-effector & having the floaty effect i wanted applied to each unique triangle !

Wuhuu! 🙂

I'll post the result when it will be finished in few days !

Hi Jukyan

Glad it worked for you, realising a few more benefits of fracture myself. I was initially trying to use the same effectors simultaneously in the two cloners which worked to some extent but not very well, I walked away from it but Happypolygons mention of the Voronoi was nagging at my braincells and I wondered if you could drop the cloners in without doing the current state to object.

I was thinking you could use the same technique to lay out grids or even honeycomb array type patterns and still access all the clones.

Not sure if you can change an entire texture with the variation shader, could be worth looking into. You could also make one big texture in pshop and lay it on flat if you were careful with your measurements.

3 hours ago, jukyan said:

using random field with 4 steps through the quantize contour mode

That went over my head faster than a jet plane 🙂

1 hour ago, HappyPolygon said:

That's a nice one Deck. I was trying to solve the case from the geometry point of view and totally forgot about the multi shader 

Cheers Demis, there are so many things to forget in cinema.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community