Dune 2021 - Ornithopter Design

Cerbera

A brief but interesting look at the design process behind the excellent Ornithopters in Villeneuve's Dune...

image.png.892c8616667be6c0fe505dc13e0cc1e4.png

It's the wrong name for it though isn't ? 😉 THAT is an ORDONOTHOPTER if I've ever seen one !

CBR

Not sure if anyone picked up on this, but notice what they used for background compositing:

image.png.928680e115b04e7149008482e3a6fb1c.png

Had they used blue or green screen, then the reflected blue or green created by those screens would have thrown off the overall color tone/saturation on the actors/props.  No matter how well they were matted into the background, the lighting on them would have been slightly off from what it would have been if they had actually existed in that environment.  

This is the level of attention the VFX artists/supervisors pushed for with Dune and why that movie just looks so much more real than what you would find in a Marvel movie or any other big budget VFX movie.  You can see that philosophy talked about in how they even shot the Ornithopter's using t wo helicopters to get real life camera distances, angles and dust effects.  Other things to note when watching Dune:  The star's faces are not always perfectly lit during a VFX sequence.  They go into complete darkness when a VFX explosion goes off in the background because that is what would happen should an actual explosion been filmed.  The camera would have dropped a few F-stops to get the exposure on the explosion correct while throwing the foreground actor into complete darkness.   Normally, the mentality is "keep the big budget star visible at all times as that is what the audience is paying to see!!!"  Err...not really.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

6 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Not sure if anyone picked up on this, but notice what they used for background compositing:

I did, but only cause DV explained it in another video 🙂 That is proper genius what they did there. Guess what colour that sand goes if you invert it ?!! 😉

CBR

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

I did, but only cause DV explained it in another video 🙂 That is proper genius what they did there. Guess what colour that sand goes if you invert it ?!! 😉

CBR

Capture.JPG.7d1a9fab1b6b20ad763c69930e10c173.JPG

A nice greyish blue actually.  I kind of like it.  But with today's digital compositing tools, is color inversion still part of the process as I thought it would all be based on difference matting/color keying.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you HappyPolygon! 

Ever since Cinefex went out of business last June, I have suffered a sense of loss.  172 issues and 40 years of commitment will do that to you.  

This definitely helps.

Dave

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community