Who else is playing with UE5?

kbar

I just installed UE5 yesterday, but have previously messed around with it while it was in beta. Will see if I can get motivated to play around more.

My previous experience with UE4 was to write the GLTF importer and Asset Browser for SketchFab (now owned by Epic). So my focus will be playing around with C++.  But I have just seen that they now support Python which is worth a look. I should probably also learn something about Blue Prints.

My only advice for UE5 is to get a fast SSD. I just bought a new M2 and installed it over the weekend. Has made a world of difference when dealing with UE5 scenes. 

Looking forward to seeing who else is here looking at UE5.

I started few months back to dive into it, even purchased bunch of tutorials but lack of time forced me to stop. But I believe next month once I am back to Croatia finally Ill have more time to dive into UE5. Another blocker for me would be my HW. I have same issue with Houdini where I am at the point not to be able to do more due to the shity HW. What is the SSD you would recommend?

10 hours ago, Igor said:

What is the SSD you would recommend?

I bought one of these

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/HDDSAM981600/Samsung-980-1TB-NVMe-PCIe-30-M2-SSD-Read-up-to-350

Need this as well to install it: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/ADPSTT3310261/StarTech-x4-PCI-Express-to-M2-PCIe-SSD-Adapter

I didn't know if it would work on my machine or not so only got the 1TB one. But now that I know it works I should have gotten the 2TB version. 

You can get faster R/W speed versions, but they weren't compatible with my motherboard ( I can use Gen 3, but not Gen 4).

https://www.samsung.com/nz/memory-storage/nvme-ssd/980-pro-pcle-4-0-nvme-m-2-ssd-1tb-mz-v8p1t0bw/

I am also running old HW. My machine is now 6 years old now. I set it up when the 1080's first released. It is still a good machine though and I can use UE5 just fine, except I can't try out any of the RTX features. Will keep going on this machine until it dies.

I've jumped into this last week and am loving it.  I've never worked with Megascans before and it's pretty amazing stuff.

Here's some screen grab from day 01: 

Made for Instagram - hence the weird size.

More soon - just got swallowed up in client work, but back to this soon.

evanalexander.com     Abusing chromatic aberration heavily since 2011....

Yep, I've been into UE for a while - diving into 5 with this official release & love it. 

This is a Github-like site for BPs (great learning tool) : https://blueprintue.com/

Wadstein's short BP lessons are still relevant and super useful : https://www.youtube.com/c/MathewWadsteinTutorials

The tech drops my jaw. Some devs doing interesting work:

I suck at games...it's hopeless. Unless that is, I can be the game designer and rig the rules, like Kirk did in his Kobayashi Maru test at Star Fleet academy.

With that in mind I am hoping to kill those AI bastards in Unreal 5 with a special "shield"...I call it "CORE". More Core--I hope--soon, w/Lumen lighting, illuminated shaders...and game action. We play the game by my rules now. 😆

core4d_Shield.jpg.2ea2c1898c8d7a81320b9fed17f53a53.jpg

fyi...here an un-rendered viewport image, w/out lighting, refinement or materials. Baby steps.

I've been playing with UE5 for a few months now, but only in the last three weeks things have started to click really fast. I'm absolutely amazed at the realtime capabilities and photorealism of the engine. You can create an entire procedural forest with thousands of plant instances reacting to the wind and tons of high poly 3D scans and see it all in real time with global illumination. I haven't been this excited about a 3D program since I started learning 3D fifteen years ago. It's... unreal.

3 minutes ago, Dardo said:

I've been playing with UE5 for a few months now, but only in the last three weeks things have started to click really fast. I'm absolutely amazed at the realtime capabilities and photorealism of the engine. You can create an entire procedural forest with thousands of plant instances reacting to the wind and tons of high poly 3D scans and see it all in real time with global illumination. I haven't been this excited about a 3D program since I started learning 3D fifteen years ago. It's... unreal.

Sounds to good to be true! ☺️

22 minutes ago, Dardo said:

Would be nice if you could share some of the work you managed to do with it. 

7 hours ago, Dardo said:

I had a few hours to play w/it last night and it was silly fun. I felt like I was nine years old an at a amusement park. Look forward to sharing more soon...

In fairness I must add: there were long waiting lines for some of the festivities (baking).

On 4/16/2022 at 10:28 PM, Igor said:

Would be nice if you could share some of the work you managed to do with it. 

Here are some cinematic renders I did with UE5 using sequencer. Disclaimer: I didn't create the forest. I just added a few rocks, trees, the monoliths and changed the lights and project settings to use Lumen with raytracing. It all plays in the viewport in real time.