File unresponsive

Maarten Vis

Oh wow - even easier than I was thinking ! Good one @Vizn

Still think we need refs from OP so know what the refraction needs to do though. In order to get that accurate in the render it will need to very closely resemble the real world object in terms of what thickness is connected between the ribs etc...

CBR

Hi guys,

Maybe it's good if I explain what I'm trying to do.

I want to create different types of glass to test for shop windows. So I have reeded glass, fluted glass, and more complex glass with hollow tubes inside.

So for that last one, (attached file) for instance I used a large cube as a window and a rounded cube for the hollowed out pieces, which I cloned. Then I'd create a Boole to subtract these from the window cube. (see attached screenshot)

My reasoning for this approach was that it's non-destructive, I could edit the elements and I could make different variations with vertical lines, horizontal and diagonal, thickness, etc. I thought this was the leanest way to do it, completely unaware that I was exhausting my poor cpu.

I've had a look at the file @Viznsent and it's very hard for me to understand how it's set up. Could you maybe explain? Or is there an easier approach?

Thanks a lot guys!

Maarten

Screenshot 2022-04-21 at 10.53.05.png

white_city_windows.c4d

OK, if you need to keep things parametric, and have lots of different variations to try that is a decent reason to want to try a boole there.

And your latest scene is much better, in that the booled object is quite low poly, though we still have many more cylinder clones than the panels seem to require - so I would drop that number to the minimum you actually need. Then, if you change all the instances of that boole to Render instances, then the scene is lightning fast. That should remain the case if you build similarly efficient setups with the other variations.

CBR

Good to hear I'm not completely on the wrong track....😅

So apart from using the render instance feature, in general making objects like booles and cloners editable will speed things up, right?

And what would be a good resource for learning the more advanced ways of modelling you guys showed? So far I've studied by using resources like greyscalegorilla and LinkedIn learning. The tricky part is that I'm not working with other 3d artists, so I have to find out everything by myself...

Thanks a bunch!

Maarten

21 minutes ago, Maarten Vis said:

So apart from using the render instance feature, in general making objects like booles and cloners editable will speed things up, right?

Yes, very much so. Furthermore, it often makes sense to build each setup in its own file, do all your experimentation there, and when happy collapse the boole to a poly object and copy it to a new 'group shot' scene with the other poly copies of the other setups.

21 minutes ago, Maarten Vis said:

And what would be a good resource for learning the more advanced ways of modelling you guys showed?

There are lots and lots of modelling tutorials on Youtube, although there is wide range of variation in standards so you do have to be a bit careful that you are not being shown rubbish techniques ! My favourites at the moment are Arrimus 3D (max / blender) and in Cinema, PolygonPen...

https://www.youtube.com/c/polygonpen

Both of those have an enormous range of videos showing only very good modelling techniques, Arrimus's being no less useful for being in another program - the techniques remain very similar across platforms and software.

Or, if you feel you would benefit from a more ground-up, personalised approach to your specific modelling goals, or want a comprehensive and thorough introduction to it, modelling is my speciality, and I offer 1-to-1 tuition if you are interested. Please PM me if you'd like more info about that.

CBR

I'd like to throw another idea into the mix. Maybe it's stupid and please do not hesitate to say so.
Here's what I just thought in order to come up with a setup like this, while keeping it relatively parametric using Scene Nodes:

Model the flat base of one "atom" of the window. E.g. a small plane with a hole. Have the bounding points of the hole selected and store the point selection in a Selection tag. Then use a Geometry Modifier Capsule to transform the hole, clone the "atoms" to the number needed for desired window width and lastly extrude to window height.

Here's a very basic test scene to demonstrate what I mean (created in S26, not sure it makes a difference, as I used only basic nodes):
test_tubed_window.c4d

No need to look into the nodes, if you don't want to. The relevant parameters got propagated to the Geometry Modifier Capsule.

Of course one could easily add parameters to first scale the entire atom to a certain size to also keep window thickness parametric for example. And certainly my "demo window atom" will not satisfy Cerbera's standard of a modeled hole in a plane. I really just quickly slapped it together to illustrate the general idea. Also I do an Optimize on the cloned atoms to avoid possible strange effects in the transparent window object, not sure that is even needed.

Anyway, just an idea. Maybe stupid, maybe not.

15 hours ago, Maarten Vis said:

I've had a look at the file @Viznsent and it's very hard for me to understand how it's set up. Could you maybe explain?

Sorry about that.

I made a little walkthrough video. First time doing this, and I am used to using shortcuts and a custom layout, so I tried to show the tooltips and/or menu locations. Except for one part! 

Around the 2:35 mark, I select the two side edges and hold the period key while left-click-dragging to the right. This adds the SDS Weight tag to sharpen those edges. If you mess up, you can simply delete the tag and try again.

However, I understand you have very specific specs you are recreating. @Cerbera can probably guide you much better in that case.

FWIW, this technique can be used to make ribbed sofas and furniture as well! 🙂

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community