Render Banding in redshift?

Go to solution Solved by hvanderwegen,

• Solution

This is a worst case scenario for banding.

When I open your file in C4D, I actually do not notice any visible banding on my screen, but when I save out a PNG8 or PNG16 and open the files in PhotoLine, the banding becomes very apparent. If I export as EXR32 it looks just fine in PhotoLine. I notice RedShift's noise doesn't seem to work that well in this particular case, and areas with and without noise are introduced. That, in my experience, may cause unwanted banding when opened in image editors:

image.png.3945c4dcb51fed2ddc863997d8adc897.png

There is much more to be taken into account, though: the reason why you are experiencing banding in C4d on your system and I am not is probably caused by the interplay of our screens, the graphics card, and the software/driver which may introduce visible banding - I am not too up to date with the technicalities here, but your screen may or may not exacerbate the visible banding. Not even mentioning whether your screen is calibrated, or what colour gamut your screen supports. Too many variables.

But in short, it is impossible to avoid banding between very low colour tint transitions such as in this case when working in 8bit or even 16 bit - and screens cannot deal with those transitions without adding some noise to break up the visual banding.

I applied some noise to the EXR32 version in PhotoLine and saved it as an 8bit png - and  presto: no visible banding (ps these two images were grabbed by zooming out to 50% - the RS version looks as bad as 100%, the PL version looks better at 100%):

image.png.c1b00d485ef37c67632b114731b25666.png

When I compare the noise patterns between RS and PL, the more uniform noise pattern produced by PhotoLine just works better.

Ergo: do not rely on C4D and RS to produce an acceptable result in this case. Save as a 32bit EXR and open in an image editor that can deal with that. Then apply a noise layer and adjust and export an 8bit PNG. This step requires a bit of trial and error until you arrive at a version that doesn't look noisy and still removes (most) of the visible banding.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community