New startup in the US, Hello All

11 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

Do you know that in a few months 4090s and 4080s will come out that are far more powerful?

There are many issues here, from technical, to biz dev, to to practical...

I was unaware the 4090s are coming out and thank you for your comment.  It's clear to me I need to do a lot more research before dumping money into the computers.   One of the main concerns I had about dumping so much money into a system is the question of how soon before better tech comes out and should I wait a month or two.  

Through my own ignorance, I was not aware of the rinse and repeat aspect. Thank you for your response. Looks like I need to hold off and learn some more.

• 2 weeks later...

If you plan on having multiple GPU's in one system, you need to account for the number of PCIE lanes required by the cards, and how many PCIE lanes the CPU has.

For instance an RTX 3090 uses 16x PCIE 4.0 lanes. Where as a Ryzen 3rd Gen has 24 lanes, so you'd only be able to run 1 RTX 3090 at full capacity. Otherwise you could run 3 cards at 8x PCIE, but at a small performance loss, and most likely there wouldn't be enough room physically to connect 3 cards. 

Here's an article explaining PCIE lanes in depth:

https://www.cgdirector.com/guide-to-pcie-lanes/

I have an AMD Threadripper 1950x, which has 60 PCIE lanes. At one point I had an RTX 2080ti, GTX 1080ti, and GTX 1070 connected to it, but the third card had to be mount outside the case using a riser cable. I recently upgraded to an RTX 3080ti, but because it's so big, it completely blocks *3 slots*. I really can only connect 1 other card to the motherboard, and I'll be selling the other 2.

Here's an article about how many PCIE lanes Ryzen processors have:

https://pcguide101.com/motherboard/how-many-pcie-lanes-does-ryzen-have/

You also need to consider the power supply which was mentioned earlier. An RTX 3090 requires 480 Watts, on top of that you generally want to have 25%-40% overhead, so if you wanted to run 4 cards, you'd be looking at something like a 3500W power supply which I don't think they even make. Guessing off the top of my head,  you might need 2 power supplies with one of them mounted externally, or have an open bench setup.

Here's a post about overhead:

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/77606-how-much-extra-wattage-should-a-psu-have

And to top it all off, you have to consider thermals. I've had my RTX 3080ti trigger the overheating alarm already, and that's with an open case. I have to keep a fan blowing on it directly when I'm rendering in warm weather. When you start stacking cards together, the heat will really build up in a case. The 4xxx series will only get bigger and hotter with more power demands.

Why not use a Render Farm, save a packet and when and if the business takes off, then Render in-house. Ask yourself the same questions a Bank Manager would. After all it's a Dog Eat Dog world out there!

I wish you all the very best in your venture.

Jacobite

On 5/23/2022 at 6:02 PM, jacobite said:

Why not use a Render Farm, save a packet and when and if the business takes off, then Render in-house. Ask yourself the same questions a Bank Manager would. After all it's a Dog Eat Dog world out there!

I wish you all the very best in your venture.

Jacobite

Totally agree. When you really think about it, you actually spend most of your time learning and developing. A good graphics card is great for quick turn arounds when iterating ideas, but the final render is not something you actually do that often. So to invest huge cost on something that you likely won't do everyday, is probably not the best way to budget.

Render farms are actually very economical and efficient. Here are a bunch or reasons to use a render farm:

1) Frees up your system

2) Cheaper - Upfront costs are way lower than the time & money it takes to integrate multiple GPU's

3) Faster - It will generally still be faster to render on the cloud than most home setups that the average consumer could build

4) Maintenance (Future Proof) - You won't have to worry about maintaining and upgrading your system

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community