Ways a C4d user can Poach Blender

Frankly I've only really been using Blender's curves for two days! A lot more to learn and discover. 

Here I'm using tilt on all the extrusions, and applying various values to different points extrusion scale. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3f93cea231234ec8fa93c6fb6c453423.jpeg

And the same settings in a gif where again we are seeing only the star shape,  while I'm sliding the tilt values...

image.gif.c5a56a1ba6015e74b45ae1e8a8b0945b.gif

32 minutes ago, Icecaveman said:

Frankly I've only really been using Blender's curves for two days! A lot more to learn and discover. 

The newer tools allow for fall-offs to work while changing the radius and tilt - which is not possible with the control point parameters.

In answer to Dave's question...I'll explore using the following two cheap Sci-Fi oriented Blender add-ons to create assets to suck back into c4d. Final results will be shown in c4d. I purchased this during a recent 30% off sale, so paid less than the prices below.

First: ByGen, $1

https://blendermarket.com/products/by-gen

Second: Random Flow, $15

https://blendermarket.com/products/random-flow

If I'm not worn out I'll explore a third, "Grid Modeler" $20

https://blendermarket.com/products/grid-modeler

We can also look at the 1-click OBJ transfer versus FBX.

Dave,

Early reports:

-ByGen is a waste of time for c4d users, as it utilizes Geo Nodes that only transfer as complex Alembics. Early impression is that product is a bit gimmicky anyways.

-RandomFlow could be a treasure grove for snatch-and-grab. Worked well w/that 1-click transfer.

More soon...

10 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

What is unique?

1. The value of the extrude does not have to be global. It can be adjusted per vertex.

image.thumb.jpeg.48937f93f676ae1f14400dfb445f7b64.jpeg

2. The extrude does not have to run along a single axis. This too can be adjusted per point. (Not to be confused with changing the path's points or handles, which dictates the path)

image.thumb.jpeg.f0f32378ffa9119b9dd70d686303f216.jpeg

This is turning into my new favorite thread (but second only to in-depth modeling discussions from Jay....sorry).

Honestly, I like this implementation method of variable spline extrusion (direction and length) as it is very direct.  C4D's methods involve additional modifiers and steps.  These controls should be part of the standard extrude function within C4D.

Points to Blender!

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

30 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

This is turning into my new favorite thread (but second only to in-depth modeling discussions from Jay....sorry).

Dave

I have no problems with (quite occasionally) being second best. 😉

But if I'm spending time investigating and answering your questions, you might do better to reconsider your ranking. 😒 I am considering a Patreon site with an entry rate of $29...

...Per Day.

My apologies.  It is quite evident the amount of time you are putting into this thread and I selfishly defaulted back to my C4D roots in that comment.

Dave

10 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

My apologies.  It is quite evident the amount of time you are putting into this thread and I selfishly defaulted back to my C4D roots in that comment.

Dave

I was just playing w/you, Dave. This stuff is pure recreation for me right now. I view a second place--amongst this high level crowd-- as an honor...even if those heights are short-lived.

2 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

What can RandomFlow do?

Scan the creator's twitter thread here to see samples...

https://twitter.com/blenderguppy?s=20&t=ZrWTiUpI2Ebv_N3tEnY8hw

Random Flow looks every interesting.  The starter tutorial by the developer presumes a strong knowledge of Blender as he spends no time explaining his keystrokes, though he does post them on the side as he works through the steps.    Searching for other tutorials also presume a knowledge of Blender modeling basics, so that is probably where I need to start first.  Fortunately, I have the Blender 2.8 Encyclopedia and was proceeding chapter by chapter through that course when I could find the time.  Looks like I will just need to fast forward to basic modeling.

Dave