Avatar 2: The Way of Water Trailer now at IMDB

I knew that this trailer was playing at Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness screenings, but it is now showing at IMDB

Overall, I think I will love it.   If anything, James Cameron knows how to craft a great story.

But, after 13 years since Avatar, while I am seeing improvement in the animation, I am also realizing just how well the first Avatar holds up after all this time.   I just thought the technology development after a 13-year gestation period would improve every part of the CG pipeline to such a degree that it would jump out at me immediately when I watched the preview.

But you tell me.  Have we come to expect too much from James Cameron?  Will this movie move the whole industry forward as much as all his previous movies did?

Or will it just be an amazing bit of storytelling once again immersing the audience in a new and distant world?

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

I think it'll be good storytelling.  I don't think  the tech will be anything out of what we already expect from movies these days with big budgets and a lot of R&D under the hood.

I'd imagine no blender kids were harmed (or used) in the making of environment or FX in this great film.   It is what it is....  😉

I found the first Avatar barely watchable due to the awful script and the flat cliché characters. Disney did it better with Pocahontas. 

Have yet to watch the trailer for the second one. James Cameron has to try hard to convince me to give it a shot in theaters.

Anybody here agreeing wth me that Davy Jones from 2006 is still looking more convincing than every single Avatar creature?

I am with you Daniel. Could barely sit through the first movie.

Davy Jones from PotC2? Absolutely amazing. If I recall correctly, every tentacle was rigged and animated individually. And yet, you could still see Bill Nighy's facial expressions.

1 hour ago, zeden said:

Anybody here agreeing wth me that Davy Jones from 2006 is still looking more convincing than every single Avatar creature?

I am with you Daniel. Could barely sit through the first movie.

Interesting...you mean from the 1960's group: The Monkees?

image.png.3dfcaf357563af9f207054b8483da727.png

My sister loved that guy.  He passed away in 2012.  Did we bring him back from the dead like Peter Cushing in Rogue One?

Oh wait...you meant that CG character guy.😁

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

2 hours ago, Daniel Seebacher said:

I found the first Avatar barely watchable due to the awful script and the flat cliché characters. Disney did it better with Pocahontas. 

Gotta agree, good visuals but paint by numbers story.  

Fern gully in space.

Really curious to how they pulled off underwater motion capture technology. But more interested in how the actors pulled it off: like did they go through special breathing training like deep sea divers for long scenes that may be in the film? Or was it somehow created using breathing masks and so

Did not get the opportunity to enjoy avatar in the big screen, would not miss this one!

Never have seen the original Avatar movie, and never really felt the need to. Same feelings for the sequel.

• Customer

TBH I wasn't too excited about the first movie. Surprisingly I was more excited about the "Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets" !

Accidentally found about  the new Westworld season ! Who's excited about that ?

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, Voidseeker said:

Really curious to how they pulled off underwater motion capture technology.

What makes you think they used MC for those scenes ? If any MC was used it was probably only for face capture.

15 hours ago, johanal said:

I'd imagine no blender kids were harmed (or used) in the making of environment or FX in this great film.   It is what it is....  😉

More likely that Blender was used in the film's models and efx  pipeline than c4d, but that's only a guess. (We all know the work was overwhelmingly or even exclusively Maya & Houdini). 

We're trying to move past needless pea-shooter antics like this, aren't we johanal?

If you care to post info about tools and techniques that were used in the movie, that might be constructive and informative.

11 hours ago, HappyPolygon said:

Reveal hidden contents

What makes you think they used MC for those scenes ? If any MC was used it was probably only for face capture.

https://screenrant.com/avatar-2-underwater-motion-capture-explained-james-cameron/

An introduction done by screen rant albeit vague, got me curious.

https://nofilmschool.com/tech-avatar-2

the second link gave some insights for my question! be sure to check those two out!