Avatar 2: The Way of Water Trailer now at IMDB

• Customer
4 hours ago, Voidseeker said:

the second link gave some insights for my question!

The one plot point that has been widely shared is that significant scenes will take place underwater. Not just CG water, but with the actors trained to hold their breath for up to four minutes, while wearing performance capture suits and no scuba breathing gear.

To me it sounds really unnecessary. It sounds like he raised more than enough money for the movie that he chose to do it the hard way just to justify the expenses.
No movie ever required from actors to fold their breath for 4 minutes ! It's supposed to be a fully CG movie... well at least most of the time. We'll be able to judge the methods once we see the movie first.

18 hours ago, HappyPolygon said:

Surprisingly I was more excited about the "Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets" !

Me too ! I LOVED that film, which was one of the most visually rewarding things I have seen for some time, and not entirely because of Ms Delavigne in that all glowy armour...

The first Avatar film fell a bit flat with me, on the whole, but it certainly had some visually amazing bits in it - the forest at night was particularly memorable.

I look forward to seeing more underwater stuff particularly, and the amazing landscapes will probably lure me into a Cinema at some point, regardless of what the rest of it's like...

CBR

4 hours ago, HappyPolygon said:

To me it sounds really unnecessary. It sounds like he raised more than enough money for the movie that he chose to do it the hard way just to justify the expenses.
No movie ever required from actors to fold their breath for 4 minutes ! It's supposed to be a fully CG movie... well at least most of the time. We'll be able to judge the methods once we see the movie first.

Thats what the producers thought too, suggesting james cameron to go with hanging actors from cables to simulate their motion capture, but cameron was adamant in going with underwater performance, showing the differences in going with cables and going underwater by a prototype that they developed for this film.

8 hours ago, VECTOR said:

Hmm saw the trailer before doctor strange. Just not excited about this movie. More hyped for love death and robots vol 3 😄

Me too! really love the seasons so far, my favourite was the episode Aquila Rift!

I like the serene tone of the trailer, quite unusual for a blockbuster.

Visually it seems to have almost plateaued since the first one. Which makes it actually so much less impressive, since realtime graphics have gained so much ground.

Superficially, Horizon: Forbidden West really isn't *that* far away from this showing....

13 hours ago, Voidseeker said:

Thats what the producers thought too, suggesting james cameron to go with hanging actors from cables to simulate their motion capture, but cameron was adamant in going with underwater performance, showing the differences in going with cables and going underwater by a prototype that they developed for this film.

Me too! really love the seasons so far, my favourite was the episode Aquila Rift!

yea that was a good one! Also really liked sonny’s edge and when the yogurt took over 😅

On 5/10/2022 at 3:50 PM, HappyPolygon said:

Accidentally found about  the new Westworld season ! Who's excited about that ?

I will watch but I think it's almost impossible to surpass what Westworld has already done with their world class story telling, cinematography, music and special effects. The title sequenced alone, rendered in Octane, is worth the price of admission. 

Couple of points:

• For those who missed the first Avatar on the big screen, it will be re-released in theaters on 9/23/22 in the US.  Not sure what the release dates will be outside of the US but look for it in the September/October time frame if interested. 
  • I have always been an admirer of James Cameron ever since Terminator and Aliens and try to see his movies when they first come out.  I don't want to be swayed by the opinions of others and form my own opinion by seeing it as soon as they came out.  So, comparisons to "Ferngully in Space" or Pocahontas were not influencing my opinion.  So, with no perspective other than it was a James Cameron movie and he tends to deliver the goods, I saw it in IMAX and in 3D and it was quite the experience.  I just let the world and the story carry me away and there were only a few scenes where the CG portion of my brain started to take over (the leap off the waterfall and Sully's struggle in the water just needed to be appreciated for how well the fluid simulation was done).    For the rest of the movie, I accepted it as real in that nothing was done poorly to pull me out of the story....that alone is quite the achievement for 2009.  Whatever everyone else's opinions may be, you still have to accept Avatar and appreciate it for it being a watershed event for the industry.
  • Relative to fluid motion capture, Cameron saw what they did for Aquaman and wanted no part of it.  I would agree as the underwater effects did look fake. That was one example of where the VFX pulled me out of the story.  Believe it or not, your facial tissue has its own buoyancy, and your face will look slightly different under water.  Again, one of those subtle details where you will not notice when it is there, but only when it is not.  Well, that is what was missing from Aquaman.  Their faces did  not read as being under-water.  So my brain immediately went "ahh....dry for wet...let me focus on the CG hair now" and I was no longer following the story.
  • One thing which I kind of chuckled at was how Avatar was praised by the environmentalists.  While I agree with the environmental message, my familiarity with data centers kind of kicked in when I thought of the massive render farm Weta had to build to get this movie done.  I think they needed to grow it to over 4000 blades, each easily requiring over 200W of power.  So 800 KW per hour just for the blades, and this does not account for all the support systems (cooling, networking, storage).  So they said that just in the last month, the entire render farm was running non-stop.  That alone, not accounting for the fact that this whole movie required that render farm for years at various levels of utilization, meant 24 Mega Watt hours of power.  As 1 mega watt hour equates to 1300 pounds of carbon pollutants, not to sure the environmentalists would  have been happy to hear that Avatar resulted in over 15 tons of carbon pollution in just the last month alone.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.