Important Notice

Guest Igor

So many things I want to say. So here's a quick summary.

It's complicated. What is a forum and who contributes to a forum? Basically everyone does except the secret readers (but that's ok of course).

All to different parts and in Igor's case and the moderators' case it is certainly more work than a hobby.

Igor and in principle also the moderators and all those who do more work with the forum should get an appropriate compensation for it. Without this compensation this institution core4d does not stand on stable legs.

I would also like it more if there was another way than a membership fee, not because of my 10€ per year, but because one way or another a payment will slow down the growth and acccessability of the forum. You can argue that a forum doesn't work as a pay service and I feel that maybe not all other options for monetization have been tried.

But clearly the forum is growing despite the €5 entry fee.

Therefore I don't see to much of a problem with 5 EUR per 6 Month.

But I think it is important to correct the communication. Writing a bill for people typing helpful answers in a forum is not cool.

But with the offer that the membership fee of 5 euros allows 6 months access to the forum and then must be renewed can possibly be more acceptable for people. So I would strongly advise not to make two different systems out of it, but simply to limit the membership to 6 months.

In addition, I think it is important that people can decide whether they want a self-renewing membership, or pay each time anew.

I appreciate DMCGAVRAN participation in this forum. However, I don't think his "joke" was very well done. There is a difference between exploiting a commercial product that everyone is already earning very well and satisfying your sporting ambition by pushing the limits of your customers to maximize profit,

and being so overloaded with the workload of a community service hobby that you have to generate at least a minimum income from it.

1 hour ago, Jops said:

I appreciate DMCGAVRAN participation in this forum. However, I don't think his "joke" was very well done. There is a difference between exploiting a commercial product that everyone is already earning very well and satisfying your sporting ambition by pushing the limits of your customers to maximize profit,

and being so overloaded with the workload of a community service hobby that you have to generate at least a minimum income from it.

I remember that he'd said four words total, went back to check, and saw that it was actually three. You are really overthinking this.

Also you wrote quite a long sentence detailing the differences between those two circumstances above. I'm not sure who in this thread has bothered to assert that those two different things were actually the same, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't McGavran, unless you want to tell me which of the three words he posted had made that particular argument.

Just noticing that if Igor leaves the 'read only' option up people who are broke for a month or two can just idly check in and read the comments from others, and maybe not sub again until they feel there is something urgent to add, at which point they're good for the next six months. Dedicated members will probably chip in eventually but I can't see newcomers reaching into their pocket for this. Igor, hold a fundraising drive, and run it for 8 weeks. That will give all the regulars heaps of time to make a couple of donations larger than 5 Euros and get everything over the line.

14 minutes ago, BoganTW said:

I remember that he'd said four words total, went back to check, and saw that it was actually three. You are really overthinking this.

Also you wrote quite a long sentence detailing the differences between those two circumstances above. I'm not sure who in this thread has bothered to assert that those two different things were actually the same, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't McGavran, unless you want to tell me which of the three words he posted had made that particular argument.

If someone posts something that obviously is ment to be open for interpretation, then it might get interpreted.

12 hours ago, BoganTW said:

Just noticing that if Igor leaves the 'read only' option up people who are broke for a month or two can just idly check in and read the comments from others, and maybe not sub again until they feel there is something urgent to add, at which point they're good for the next six months. Dedicated members will probably chip in eventually but I can't see newcomers reaching into their pocket for this. Igor, hold a fundraising drive, and run it for 8 weeks. That will give all the regulars heaps of time to make a couple of donations larger than 5 Euros and get everything over the line.

BoganTW, can I ask a direct question: Why are you here?

I don't recall you ever posting in the various learning or exploration threads. Don't recall you ever posting industry news or insights. I can't recall you asking--or answering--a single tech question. Have no recollection of you participating in the many substantive creative threads here on this site at any time. 

Please correct me and excuse me if I'm wrong about that. 

What I do loosely recall is that 95% (perhaps 100%?) of your posts defend Maxon corporate, attack its critics, seek it's objectives. Quite consistently fend for corporate interests. It all makes me wonder: Why are you here?

8 minutes ago, Icecaveman said:

BoganTW, can I ask a direct question: Why are you here?

I don't recall you ever posting in the various learning or exploration threads. Don't recall you ever posting industry news or insights. I can't recall you asking--or answering--a single tech question.

Please correct me and excuse me if I'm wrong about that. 

What I do loosely recall is that 95% (perhaps 100%?) of your posts defend Maxon corporate, or attack its critics. Hmmm...it all makes me wonder: Why are you here?

I would really love to get a anwer to that, but This exact thread might not be the right place for the discussion it will trigger as it Is much to important.

Let us try to find the best possible way to make this forum finacially stable together.

7 hours ago, Igor said:

I am not really sure why people think forums are dying. I was hearing that few years ago too. At that point we had 400 new users every month for more than a year until I had to change the name of the site.

If you join slacks or discords you will see a very big difference in activity and responsiveness. I am on all of these from gsg to rocket lasso and I have direct contact with devs, professionals, ceos etc.

Its not about how many users are subbed. Its how many are active. The big difference to eg. Mograph Slack where I am at, it has 500 people and we are all active. This made me learn Houdini in a few months. Here this is not possible.

In core4d I only got replies from Cerbera or Bezo I think i remember very few names for a specific reason. In the houdini thread we were alone you and I 🙂 

From all the places I participate Core4d and previously C4dCafe is the least active/responsive.
While I like forums as I grew in them, nowadays seems I visit them less and less myself cause I can find real time responses anywhere else. Things have changed with real time chats.

Guest Igor
10 minutes ago, thanulee said:

The more I think about, u guys have great content, updated plugins/news/scripts etc but u are terrible at marketing no offence haha

Yup, I am well aware of that. Marketing is not my thing at all and its hard work. 

9 hours ago, Jops said:

If someone posts something that obviously is ment to be open for interpretation, then it might get interpreted.

Did his joke touch a nerve? He's not the one who has spent countless thread posts bashing subs. Not saying you have, but when I read his post, I laughed. Again, you are really overthinking this one.

7 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

BoganTW, can I ask a direct question:

No you can't, not with your consistent inability to be civil in these threads, and your occasionally delusional paranoia (see the 'uses of Blender' thread for this.

1 hour ago, BoganTW said:

Did his joke touch a nerve? He's not the one who has spent countless thread posts bashing subs. Not saying you have, but when I read his post, I laughed. Again, you are really overthinking this one.

Something funny happened to me today. Someone pays me to live in my house. I only have to manage it. When I left it today, I walked down the street and ran into one of my neighbors. He told me he was worried that he might get evicted if he couldn't figure out a way to make more money. I made a joke about his situation, laughed in his face, and kept walking. It was hilarious. All of the other neighbors were standing there to hear it. Hopefully, they can take a joke at his expense, but probably not. There was one guy there who defended me, even though he loves spending time at the neighbor's house, so I appreciate him. He gets it. 

Hopefully you can get over the incident and move on then.

McGavran has people shit talk him for months (maybe years), and then he makes a funny, sardonic observation (like anyone might do down at the pub over a beer), and it's a war crime requiring a visit from the cops, or (maybe even worse) the HR department lady?

Last time I checked the price difference between the sub and the annual upgrade that they used to have wasn't that much. This barely qualifies as Oliver Twist being evicted onto the street and forced to pick coins out of gutters to buy soup in the cold. 

Just now, BoganTW said:

Hopefully you can get over the incident and move on then.

McGavran has people shit talk him for months (maybe years), and then he makes a funny, sardonic observation (like anyone might do down at the pub over a beer), and it's a war crime requiring a visit from the cops, or (maybe even worse) the HR department lady?

Last time I checked the price difference between the sub and the annual upgrade that they used to have wasn't that much. This barely qualifies as Oliver Twist being evicted onto the street and forced to pick coins out of gutters to buy soup in the cold. 

I've moved on from that incident. At this point, I'm just a little surprised at the hypocrisy. Maybe you don't realize you are doing it, but are telling people they shouldn't misinterpret something, while you are constantly interpreting other people's comments and telling them they can't take joke or they are overthinking it.  Sure, you may do it with a pleasant tone, but its still condescending when you do. I said it was in bad taste. Apparently my saying that is the same as calling it a war crime. Quite the leap. Also, thanks for giving me permission to move on. I appreciate it. 

• Guest unpinned this topic
  • Hrvoje unfeatured this topic

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community