Important Notice

Guest Igor

Guest Igor
6 minutes ago, Cairyn said:

now why does Paypal wants to give 3Dcore full access to my bank account? No way!

I am not sure what do you mean. Core do not have any of your information, especially not the bank one. On our side we only see Name and an email.

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, Igor said:

I am not sure what do you mean. Core do not have any of your information, especially not the bank one. On our side we only see Name and an email.

When I try to pay, PayPal tells me that this is a subscription (which is a big no-no anyway), and I have to agree that Core4D is able to withdraw payments for any purchase made through this site, so I "dont need to" log in (haha). And my "preferred payment" is through my bank account. There is no limit for the booked sum mentioned, nor a way to cancel the subscription or revoke the permission (although PayPal probably allows this through their page), nor any restriction regarding the goods I'm supposed to have purchased.

That effectively means: If you (or anyone who successfully manages to hack this site and pretend to PayPal that they're Core4D) want to withdraw any sum of money from my account, they can just pretend that I bought something and take that money, and PayPal would get it from my bank account. My two-factor authentication would be circumvented, I would not even get alerted of the booking until I notice it in my PayPal or bank account, and unless I can convince PayPal that this was not a real Core4D purchase, the money is gone.

Even if the likelihood is small, there is no way I would sign such a blanko order. I would expect a one-time payment for exactly this timeframe and this sum.

Guest Igor

@Cairyn

I think you are wrong here. 1st you can cancel subscription at any point. 2nd you get notification few days before Core makes widrawal. 3rd you are excluded from the payment due to being developer. What PayPal do I dont think I have anything to do with it.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

@Cairyn

I think you are wrong here. 1st you can cancel subscription at any point. 2nd you get notification few days before Core makes widrawal. 3rd you are excluded from the payment due to being developer. What PayPal do I dont think I have anything to do with it.

I'm happy to give you five bucks, and I'm trying to, but I definitely am asked for a blanko permission by PayPal. It's in German so I'm going to translate it for you.

(start quote, bold text by me)

By clicking "Agree and pay" I confirm that I want to use (my legal bank account here) for all my current and future purchases with Core 4D Community. I authorize Core 4D Community to debit my PayPal account for these purchases, and I order PayPal to pay these amounts in my name. This way, I can pay faster because I don't have to log in for these sales.

(end quote)

There's more about money sources and revoking after that, but I rarely have larger sums on PayPal so these are pretty meaningless for the case.

One may argue that "future purchases" only apply to this special subscription but that's not what the text says. As I said, no limits (on the sum), no restrictions (on the kind of purchases), no login, and I don't see any statement on prior notification either.

Maybe it's what PayPal thinks appropriate, but if I click that button, my bank would indemnify me for gross negligence if anything happens.

(Don't know what "Developer" status does, but my account now says "Limited" anyway...)

In response to this thread request I signed up for Tier Three contribution level which is like $10 twice a year, admittedly a pretty token gesture, cancelable at any time, but I too would have been much more comfortable with a single donation opportunity that didn't carry the risks associated with a paypal based subscription plan, cause I just don't trust paypal or subscription plans in general, and would have been comfortable making a larger one time contribution than I was with the subscription plan.  

Just would add that I've been a member since 2007 and I really appreciate C4DCafe and Core4D and those like 3DKIWI and now IGOR who kept it and are keeping it going.  For me it's worth supporting. 

2 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

I've just paid the 5 Euro's after getting the email. You can cancel recurring / automatic payments within your Paypal account.

Hmm, I tried buying a Bronze Membership by subscribing, and then cancelling the subscription so the dubious agreement would be invalidated after a one-time payment. I got mails at first that the monies have been received, but then PayPal claimed by mail it had reversed the order, and now I have no idea whether any money was actually sent. Probably not, and now I look like an a-hole for getting back donations. Very confusing. I'll have another look at it tomorrow.

Guest Igor
11 minutes ago, Cairyn said:

Hmm, I tried buying a Bronze Membership by subscribing, and then cancelling the subscription so the dubious agreement would be invalidated after a one-time payment. I got mails at first that the monies have been received, but then PayPal claimed by mail it had reversed the order, and now I have no idea whether any money was actually sent. Probably not, and now I look like an a-hole for getting back donations. Very confusing. I'll have another look at it tomorrow.

Do not worry, you most definitely don't look like that. I believe your donation went through. 🙂 Thank you! 

Folks we know financial institutions aren't as trusted anymore. Greedy bastards in a lot of cases. And PayPal is a mixed bag. Do suggest guarding against conflating Paypal with small business folks around the world who utilize Paypal...and to not let frustration with big money power brokers spill into communications with a small business person.

These can be stressful times for many. Private communications can be a good choice rather than a public thread.

I've only been around since 2013 when my new job gave me C4d. I didnt use the forum much and I still don't browse as often as I should-but I have to say that when I had a question, people have quickly given me solutions pretty fast and I am very grateful for that. €10/year is well worth the admission and I am grateful for @Igor keeping this place running (as well as @3DKiwiin my early career).

I wish something like this was around when I had to learn StrataStudioPro. You young'uns have it easy with all these inner webs and cat5 cables and all that. Try dial up with Ma Bell and  maneuver with Netscape. 

• Hrvoje unfeatured this topic

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community