The new "Poke Polygons" in S26

rasputin

Hey guys,

I notice that the new "Poke Polygons" command is very useful for creating "knurling",    like the knurling on a bike or motorcycle rubber handlebar grip.

The ability to "pyramidize" your polys here,  en masse,   is only accessible if you use the modeling NODE version of Poke Polygons.    Cool!

ras

knurling.png

Yes. Poke polys will be the least-used of the new modelling tools, but I remain glad it is there, like you say, for all those whiskey glasses, knob knurling, and getting alternatively triangulated topology for use in the new simulation stuff... other than that I don't see it getting a great deal of use...

CBR

alternatively triangulated topology for use in the new simulation stuff.

Because,  I'm guessing you are referring to the way,  say,   RealFlow likes to work with container/colliders that are in all triangles?

4 minutes ago, rasputin said:

Because,  I'm guessing you are referring to the way,  say,   RealFlow likes to work with container/colliders that are in all triangles?

No, not THOSE simulations, who use the background triangulation (or averaged normals thereof) of every surface to calculate their collisions. The sims I am referring to are the new cloth components, and bullet soft bodies for example, which can sometimes benefit from cross-triangulated topology. However, I do note that we have excellent control over that in the new cloth regardless of the actual triangulation or not of the mesh because we can choose whether the diagonals springs are absent, single or double (same result as poke polys), so I am unsure how that is different.

CBR

If you are investigating the modelling tools, have a look at 'Set Flow', whose reparatory properties for surface curvature are superb.

When you use the loop cut tool you have the ability to 'preserve curvature' which will match the curve you are inserting to the adjacent loops. That is all well and good, except that once you have made the cut, or if you have made it with that setting not on (in error for example), there would be nothing you could do about that afterwards, without removing it and adding another one, which is not always possible or convenient (especially if subsequent modelling has taken place, and that loop is now an essential part of something else in the mesh for example).

Set Flow lets us to select vast numbers of edge loops, and instantly match their curvature with a single mouse drag. I was positively delighted when Maxon implemented that one, and it has already saved me a great deal of time in my daily modellings. Take this situation yesterday for example...

Here I had to adapt one model of golf club out of another, and the alteration of the perimeter had given me a huge ridge in the top edge that needed to be curved as shown by yellow lines below...

image.png.39af147f010cd1c5ea0ca3260d2741bf.png

Now, because this mesh curves in multiple directions at once before S26 I would have need to have manually moved every point individually along 4 whole edge loops there to sort that out... which would have a certain zen tranquillity to it I will admit, but that doesn't save us the time or the $$$ does it ? 😉 

With Set Flow I can just select the 4 loops and instantly repair that surface curvature so it is beautifully contiguous, like so...

image.png.efaed2ab025eb737d86246b4ffe23b51.png

Job done, 10 seconds !

CBR

Wow... Oh yes,  I do see now.    It would've taken a lot of manual correction to get that smooth curve.  I think I would've tried to half-ass it in the past,  I dunno, using the Brush in Smooth mode?   Nice.   I've just tried it...  works great.     I wonder how it "knows" what curvature to match up to?   I've selected the edge that's down in the valley...  ie.,  the part that's discontinuous with the overall curvature.   Is that the correct way to go about it?

set flow.png