Let me explain...what we are trying to achieve here...

Guest Igor

Guest Igor

I just wanted to explain something as I see some members don't really get what I am trying to accomplish here and what is the goal in a long run. I've been receiving PMs and also reading some of the comments that what I am trying to do will not work and that we gonna disappear if we continue pushing Houdini and Blender on this forum.

So let me tell you that no one here from the staff will ever push Houdini or Blender on the members. What I want to create here is a place where Cinema 4D users can explore other options not to replace C4D for good but to add another DCC into their arsenal, which in this age is almost a must. So, for those who are in fear that C4D hub will be lost, I can assure you that this is not the case at all. We will stay for the most part C4D centric community.

What members here needs to understand is that Maxon will at some point introduce their own forums and then if that happens we are in trouble, because most of  you will just go there. So to combat that and to make sure we still stay relevant we need to try and create something unique. 

So if you are C4D user, but want to explore other options, like Houdini then Maxon forums will not be the place to go, but Core 4D. Even if you don't want to do that, you still have place here, because we allow discussions that other might filter and we have a great staff that helps around C4D. While other focuses on helping with C4D I will focus more on Houdini and its content for C4D users.

Also, to add, we want to support small indie devs and give them a good platform to share their work, as we always did (for free). Hopefully they are happy about what we have right now and I will definitely try to improve that area too. We need to apricate them as much as possible as they are doing heavy lifting for us all. 

• Guest changed the title to Let me explain...what we are trying to achieve here...

Maxon have ignored requests to make public forums for over 2 decades, I'll be amazed if they create anything at this stage. Though the irony here is that maybe you've potentially just shown David that he can charge a subscription for forums, and so will have one released by next week 😉 

6 hours ago, imashination said:

Maxon have ignored requests to make public forums for over 2 decades, I'll be amazed if they create anything at this stage. Though the irony here is that maybe you've potentially just shown David that he can charge a subscription for forums, and so will have one released by next week 😉 

To be fair, they have moved the Redshift forum to their own Website. So technically they have a forum already.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

They also run the Cineversity forum. Very useful for questions but not a place for chatty threads like this one.

I like all the stuff listed by Igor in that paragraph, sounds good and useful. Like Matthew though I question if Maxon is going to be doing another forum anytime soon. Do they need to or want to? I figure maybe for the former, probably not for the latter.

If they ditched the Cineversity forum (which sometimes is down because it can't handle too many users at once) and rolled the whole Q&A thing into a new bigger forum with Dr Sassi and others in a questions / learning thread, plus added a modern forum where people could chat away, I could see that being useful. Core4D is so nicely designed. Cineversity is great for detailed answers to questions that I've had, but the look of it makes my eyes hurt, which seems a bit out of place for a company that prioritises user experience.

Guest Igor
41 minutes ago, BoganTW said:

Core4D is so nicely designed.

I had to quote this and say thanks, cuz this is the first time someone actually said it. 🙂 So thank you! :cowboypistol:

The design of the Core4D forum is like C4D’s UI: Easy to use and intuitive.  So much so that you take it for granted and bristle in frustration when other forums aren’t as pleasant to use.

So props to you Igor!

Also, I 100% agree with your plans.  Ideally you would also look at more than just  full DCC applications like Blender or Houdini as specialty apps like Substance Painter, Vue or even Moi could be considered as valuable tools that compliment your work in C4D.  But I understand that for every new branch topic that gets added to Core4D requires a subject matter expert to serve as moderator.  

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

Hi

In my opinion i think it's a good idea to have multiple software discussions here. Nowadays it's important to know more than one 3d app (although i'm c4d centric) but what this forum can offer its the perspective of a c4d user using other apps and solving particular problems.

Example: If some of us work in the vfx business, it might be good to know houdini, but its certainly better to learn from someone that uses both systems instead of someone that only knows that software. In that way you'll know the advantages of both systems. This is a great learning oportunity and also an efficient help.

However, in past times, in this forum i saw a post with someone asking for help with some c4d issue, and some of the answers were just people saying that it wasn't possible in c4d and pushing blender as the only solution, and that c4d was dying etc. That is the kind of situation i really dont want for this forum. If i have a c4d question (let's say xpresso) i really dont want a blender or other soft solution. And in that particular post, there was a c4d solution and that user was just wrong. 

I really dont want to see users pushing software like some kind of religion. It looks like youtube's comment section with everyone saying that the soft they use is better blah blah and in the end nothing new. 

Guest Igor
5 minutes ago, jbatista said:

I really dont want to see users pushing software like some kind of religion. It looks like youtube's comment section with everyone saying that the soft they use is better blah blah and in the end nothing new.

I agree on this and we will try to do are best to avoid these things and to moderate as much as we can these kind of situations.

54 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

The design of the Core4D forum is like C4D’s UI: Easy to use and intuitive.  So much so that you take it for granted and bristle in frustration when other forums aren’t as pleasant to use.

So props to you Igor!

Also, I 100% agree with your plans.  Ideally you would also look at more than just  full DCC applications like Blender or Houdini as specialty apps like Substance Painter, Vue or even Moi could be considered as valuable tools that compliment your work in C4D.  But I understand that for every new branch topic that gets added to Core4D requires a subject matter expert to serve as moderator.  

Dave

I agree, I really like coming to this forum. The layout is nice and the functions are smooth. My only request is to not change it for the time being 🙂

I actually started browsing around the other day, and noticed your 3D Wiki section and Pipeline Tools, I don't know if they're really necessary. In my opinion (and please only take it as an opinion) you could probably save yourself the trouble. I don't know exactly what you're trying to do with that section, but if you're trying to create an online reference for all things 3D, it might be more work than it's worth.

On a side not, you seem to be missing Nuke in your compositing section. I ran into someone online the other day doing a live stream in VR of their Nuke workflow, and to be honest, I was pretty blown away what can be accomplished with UV passes. Though when they mentioned the project size, they were talking in the hundreds of gigabytes when it cam to 4k EXRs.

Also, I would like to mention, if you're trying to create a home for all things 3D, you should think about hosting an X-Particles section. I started paying for the plugin a year ago and realized it's severely underserved when it comes to online resources. They stopped maintaining their own forum and shifted to Discord, which I think is a horrible option. There's no good way to browse through or search old topics. Personally I think Maxon should just bring them into the fold, I don't know how the corporate politics work, but Insydium seems like they deserve to be better supported by the Maxon community.

1 hour ago, jbatista said:

I agree. This is why one should never use Mac OS if they can avoid it.  

😜

1 hour ago, jbatista said:

However, in past times, in this forum i saw a post with someone asking for help with some c4d issue, and some of the answers were just people saying that it wasn't possible in c4d and pushing blender as the only solution, and that c4d was dying etc. That is the kind of situation i really dont want for this forum. If i have a c4d question (let's say xpresso) i really dont want a blender or other soft solution. And in that particular post, there was a c4d solution and that user was just wrong. 

At least someone tried. Now everyone is wondering about the just wrong user, Was that me? 😄    I don't mind people pointing out other software solutions, as they can give you some clues usually by knowing what your software is missing so you can save valuable time not looking for something that isn't there, and focus on alternative solutions instead.  Of course it shouldn't derail the thread. 

Speaking only for myself... I have learned two things in the past three weeks.

-Trying to convert someone to different software is pointless and counter-productive. For one thing those efforts don't work, and for another...as I've been reminded in studying Blender: it is a significant time investment to truly switch if you have mastered one DCC, and aim to fully master a different DCC. When I post about Blender, moving forward, please never confuse my intention. I'm not saying Blender is better than XYZ and I'm not trying to convert anyone. (There may, be, however, things a user of software A can poach from software B, esp. if software B is affordable or free)

-I shouldn't and will *never again* post here at certain hours before bed when I often am not constructive. I apologize again for letting that happen.

This site continues to provide a platform for all of us to learn new, different things. It reminds me of my efforts to say some new words (part of my efforts to become more human. I do like treats!)

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community