What is the point? (Interesting 3d paradigm)

6 hours ago, noseman said:

Here's a 12 minute video showing how you can use splines in Cinema 4D while controlling scale and rotation data. The simple answer is MoGraph...

This is an Unlisted Video for Core4D users only and depending on feedback I may do a "proper" one or make this public. For now it's a "Core4D Special"

Nice, that's a great feature, thanks for the explanation.

I just had an idea while watching the video. It would be interesting to host something like a game of HORSE between the different software. Pose a basic motion graphics challenge, then have folks post a video of how they would accomplish it in C4D, Blender, or Houdini. It could reveal some creative solutions and a fun way to compare the different software.

EDIT: Of course, immediately after making the suggestion I find @Icecaveman & @Cerbera duking it out in this post: 

13 hours ago, noseman said:

Here's a 12 minute video showing how you can use splines in Cinema 4D while controlling scale and rotation data. The simple answer is MoGraph...

This is an Unlisted Video for Core4D users only and depending on feedback I may do a "proper" one or make this public. For now it's a "Core4D Special"

https://youtu.be/BPw36_At-CA

Splines with Scale and Rotation 01A.c4d 196.07 kB · 0 downloads

As always the Noseman Knows...a way. Very resourceful! 

If we are fair...that is a good deal more cumbersome than simply scaling or rotating a point. Fair to say? But it is possible and is good to know.

Very generous to share that, Thanassis!

Or here just for demonstration purposes, I added a third point to the spline, moved it up and changed the radius of the points. This is just a matcap, not a render.

What you regard this shape to be...I'll leave to the imagination. Polished Albino croissant poop fossil? LOL. Humor aside, this toolset can be useful and things for many lovely or utilitarian things, as we'll see.

image.thumb.png.305cd25205b62f5a67c52ef2143fc0fc.png

Here you can see the beginnings of a curves-centric design. The spline type here is NURBS, as opposed to the other options(Poly or Bezier). As you may know NURBS create the smoothest, most graceful curves, but take a little familiarity to get comfortable with handling them. (same in c4d)

Here in Object Mode. As you might have discerned the object is under a "mirror" modifier, across the Y axis. The path has a default bevel which will likely be changed later.

image.thumb.png.50f30a20ac1e758d22623fb684356a07.png

And here in Edit Mode, where points can be manipulated.

image.thumb.png.e1d1aefd640e339dcb23f1b0348a8aeb.png

The shape sure looks uniform and crowded at this phase, no?

Now some initial work on shaping the first part of the design. Here is where the ability to scale individual points is such a huge factor. The process is really only a handful of steps in this phase:

-Extruding to add a new point

-Scaling points radius

-Moving points to shape things and eliminate any distortion

Never tried this type of design and I've only been learning/playing with Blender curves for two weeks. It's just getting familiar with an exceptionally simple type of sculpting. At least it feels like sculpting by moving a few points around.

image.thumb.png.b7ab1f70dc6d90b884eaee08cf685d58.png

Perhaps tomorrow I'll be able to post some more process screen grabs and the completed work. Did I mention combining this tech with custom profiles? 

Good to see how Blender handles this. This kind of per-point attribute system is pretty much at the core of Houdini, and as a result it is pervasive across the app. Houdini also extends this to faces, where per-face attributes can be used in interesting ways. 

image.thumb.png.0089b23c269c95ca2593fe304dfb3a25.png

image.thumb.png.17f25657b5bd810bfb8c2b2bac461e9d.png

11 minutes ago, eikonoklastes said:

...per-face attributes can be used in interesting ways. 

That is very novel to me. Took me a moment to see how that is different than vertex extrusion/bevelling, but I get it.  Haven't had breakfast and I've already learned something here!