Having tick/cross buttons for all the objects?

Go to solution Solved by Cairyn,

In the object manager of Cinema4d, some objects give me the ability of disabling using a cross/tick button, while others don't and I have to use the two dots to do so. 

Why is that and how do I always have tick/cross buttons for all the objects? 

image.png.65a5f8b092f23a3b0dccf592d0a95f17.png
  • Solution

You don't. The tick and the two dots are completely different functionalities. The dots control the visibility, while the tick controls the activation. Therefore, only special classes of objects (e.g. Generators, but not polygon objects) have the tick, because only these can / need to be activated.

Other classes (e.g. cameras) may have different functionalities in place of the tick.

3 hours ago, scifidesigner said:
In the object manager of Cinema4d, some objects give me the ability of disabling using a cross/tick button, while others don't and I have to use the two dots to do so. 

Why is that and how do I always have tick/cross buttons for all the objects? 

Because, sadly, Maxon did not make it that way. Some will argue that there is some logical or rational reason behind it, but there isn't. It's just a general failure of logic and reason that is so old and established that it has come to be accepted as canon, just how things are and never questioned anymore. 

11 hours ago, MJV said:

Some will argue that there is some logical or rational reason behind it, but there isn't. It's just a general failure of logic and reason that is so old and established that it has come to be accepted as canon, just how things are and never questioned anymore.

@MJV I'm obviously one one of those. And as a developer certainly tainted in my views. But could you maybe elaborate on the failure of logic? From my point of view these options are fundamentally different. The dots only toggle visibility, while the checkmark toggles execution during scene evaluation. I would certainly argue against mangling these two functionalities into one. I need them separated all the time. Best example, using some Xpresso workflow to clone something onto some generated mesh. There I need the mesh to be generated, but do not want it to be visible.

6 hours ago, MighT said:

@MJV I'm obviously one one of those. And as a developer certainly tainted in my views. But could you maybe elaborate on the failure of logic? From my point of view these options are fundamentally different. The dots only toggle visibility, while the checkmark toggles execution during scene evaluation. I would certainly argue against mangling these two functionalities into one. I need them separated all the time. Best example, using some Xpresso workflow to clone something onto some generated mesh. There I need the mesh to be generated, but do not want it to be visible.

It seems like you misunderstood me. I never and am not arguing that the dots and checkmark are or should be conflated or are the same. I am saying that everything should have both the dots and a checkmark. Having some things which can be disabled with a checkmark and other things that can't is what makes no sense.

People only think it makes sense because that's the way it's always been. 

11 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yeah I have to say I don't find that illogical at all ! You can't turn a polygon object on and off, whereas you obviously can with generators.

CBR

You can't turn a polygon object on and off because Maxon never added that feature. That's the only reason. Had it always been there from the start you would never question that either or even think to suggest that it shouldn't be possible.

2 minutes ago, MJV said:

Had it always been there from the start you would never question that either or even think to suggest that it shouldn't be possible.

I actually don't disagree that it would sometimes be useful to eliminate poly objects from scene / vp calculation. However, the logic that only generators can be turned off does make sense to me - I can see why they did that, and that's all I'm saying.

CBR

19 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I actually don't disagree that it would sometimes be useful to eliminate poly objects from scene / vp calculation. However, the logic that only generators can be turned off does make sense to me - I can see why they did that, and that's all I'm saying.

CBR

Yes, that seems to have been the logic, or so it has been so explained, but then you have the Sky object, also a generator, that has no checkmark, so even the logic as explained isn't consistent. We just accept it because that's how it's always been. 

18 minutes ago, MJV said:

but then you have the Sky object, also a generator, that has no checkmark

Er... not sure about versions previous, but S26 Physical Sky has a checkbox ! So 1 mark back for consistency at least 😉

image.png.e268579f29086349bc02293d956110af.png

CBR

12 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Er... not sure about versions previous, but S26 Physical Sky has a checkbox ! So 1 mark back for consistency at least 😉

image.png.e268579f29086349bc02293d956110af.png

CBR

I'm talking about the Sky Object, not Physical Sky. Other generators that don't have checkmarks include Foreground, Background, and Floor.

2022-06-07_10-32-19.jpg.04588625f8cc8e7f9b6f8d411826b8ba.jpg