Quality of Life features you can't live without in C4D

Guest Igor

Digging into the memory archives here because it's been a while, but I always liked the ability in the Object Manager to set any sub-hierarchy as the root. It helped a lot with scene management. It had a handy shortcut as well (Ctrl+Alt+click or something).

If I was just to name one it would be the select many objects and change one parameter for all of them at once or even use something like x*3.

but there are so many more:

- that plenty of the widly spread UI paradigms are used like double click for renaiming or left click for select or Alt navigation and that theses things are consistant throughout the Programm. this seems to be a small thing, but in the CCD area there are still a lot of applictaions that just expect their users to do everything differently.

- copy paste everywhere

- renaiming tool

- rename next object just by clicking down arrow

- that there is a icon and a menue entry for every feature (at least in the versions I mostly work in 🙂

- the way the UI presets are handled, and the way you can change the UI. (after studiing the new one I personally have to say, that the old one unfortunately is better, so the wrong direction unfortunately, but still better then a lot of the competition)

- and much more

On 6/8/2022 at 5:12 PM, keppn said:

Edit: I'm not very familiar with other DCCs - is something similar available beyond C4D? 

In a node network, a different variable controlled result is just another tree branch, one the user ultimately has much greater control over and confidence.  

This is an timely thread for me as over the last few weeks I've been putting some work into getting to grips with - the very basics : ) - of Houdini.

It's been quite an eye opener. As well as discovering the power and potential of Houdini, it's also emphasised the strengths of C4D.

The things that I really value in C4D include:

General ease of use (UI / UX)  across the application (R21)
Ease of viewport navigation
The flexibility of the Object Manager
Xpresso - poor UI excepted : )

Content browser - RIP

Takes - really important for my work

Flexible and powerful file import and merge options.

(One basic thing that I don't like in C4D is the menu organisation. Too many things seem to be in illogical locations and order to me.)

C4D has lots of positives for sure .

• The ability to calculate in the Attribute Manager, e.g. x*2, x+1 etc. This is also great for adjusting keyframe traks.
  • Timetrack - super powerful and incredibly hidden 🙂
  • Take Manager
  • UI in general. For example, I find it super powerful how you can filter in the object manager or simply duplicate managers. E.g. it is very useful in complex scenes to have two Object Managers or one Attribute Manager just for the tools and one for everything else.
  • I'm also starting to like the asset browser more and more. The whole preset system is very useful. I have my own database on my Dropbox with my presets and helper files. So I always have access to it at home and in the office.
  • The new placement and scatter tools

One thing I really like about Cinema is the ability to double click a referenced object and have that object selected for me in the OM. 

2022-06-11_13-38-15.jpg.92ca8ebd28f7d31aec299dfe767c1336.jpg

As a new Houdini user this is something I miss being able to do in Houdini. Please let me know if you are a Houdini user and there is something or some way similar to do this that I am overlooking. 

12 hours ago, MJV said:

As a new Houdini user this is something I miss being able to do in Houdini. Please let me know if you are a Houdini user and there is something or some way similar to do this that I am overlooking. 

A parameter that references a node will usually have a button that will take you to that node's parameters.

image.png.a87128fa514e87f3f92d561b635316ae.png

If you're talking about a channel reference, then you can visualise the link by enabling an option:

image.png.8d1b24526d0cf90ec66bc22f40c8db7a.png

2 hours ago, eikonoklastes said:

A parameter that references a node will usually have a button that will take you to that node's parameters.

image.png.a87128fa514e87f3f92d561b635316ae.png

If you're talking about a channel reference, then you can visualise the link by enabling an option:

image.png.8d1b24526d0cf90ec66bc22f40c8db7a.png

Great thanks! I'll try those suggestions.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community