99 Polygons challenge - cash prizes!

Guest Igor

Dear members

Let's start July with nice challenge that will hopefully encourage a lot of people to give it a try. Thanks to our long term member we are in position to offer cash prizes as follows:

1st place - 299 USD + artist promotion & presentation

2nd place - 199 USD

3rd place - 99 USD

Challenge is called 99 polygons and we want to see what you can model with constrained budget of polygons.

Pick your own theme of any kind. In this case we are looking for pure polygon modelling, without generators, render time displacements or any other assistance.

You can use the whole budget or go lower if you want. We are not interested in renders although we welcome them 🙂 Apart from artistic side we will judge quality of the mesh (UV excluded).

Judges are forum staff.

Only registered members, supporters and developers can participate. Excluded are Maxon employs and forum staff. We don't care which software you use, we don't care if you are a hobbyist, pro or an alien but we want to entice you to participate in this challenge and discussions around it.

You can also post multiple entries. Bear in mind that headhunters are frequent on forum and if you are looking to showcase your work to land a job or increase your visibility now it is the time do so. To apply please send me a private message.

Once we collect reasonable amount of people up for a challenge we will start and run for 30 days. Now is the time to stop lurking from shadows and do some modelling! :cowboypistol:

SUBMIT YOUR FINAL WORK HERE 

• Hrvoje changed the title to 99 Polygons challenge - cash prizes!

Those are some generous prizes, Igor! Often we see competitions with potentially millions of global participants and the prizes are often pretty lame. The gold prize might be decent but is often followed by prizes like "A one-year license of XYZ software...a $400 value." Pure fictional value, LOL. Here the pool of competition is reasonable and the prizes are super...CASH!

Like MJV, I'm not feeling confident with the wide-open universe of 3d possibilities.... combined with the 99 polygon restriction. I currently have no clue what I should try to build.

2 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

I currently have no clue what I should try to build.

..it´s a simple.

(single polygon and cloner with 98 clones and bunch of effectors. And at the end conversion to pure polygons to keep challenge rules (don´t tell it to Jay or Igor please, because could happend something like this :compFist:  So, keep it in secret 😉 )

There was in the past maybe similar challenges in the world. Looks like Keith Haring was contributor on one named "dog in a one go" or "use thirty linear lines"

dog.png.17e3620e2810e3aef562354126618e29.png

19 hours ago, Igor said:

Dear members

Let's start July with nice challenge that will hopefully encourage a lot of people to give it a try. Thanks to our long term member we are in position to offer cash prizes as follows:

1st place - 299 USD + artist promotion&presentation

2nd place - 199 USD

3rd place - 99 USD

Challenge is called 99 polygons and we want to see what you can model with constrained budget of polygons. Pick your own theme of any kind. In this case we are looking for pure polygon modelling, without generators, render time displacements or any other assistance. You can use the whole budget or go lower if you want. We are not interested in renders although we welcome them 🙂 Apart from artistic side we will judge quality of the mesh (UV excluded). Judges are forum staff. Only registered members, supporters and developers can participate. Excluded are Maxon employes and forum staff. We don't care which software you use, we don't care if you are a hobbyist, pro or an alien but we want to entice you to participate in this challenge and discussions around it. You can also post multiple entries. Bear in mind that headhunters are frequent on forum and if you are looking to showcase your work to land a job or increase your visibility now it is the time do so. To apply please send me a private message. Once we collect reasonable amount of people up for a challenge we will start and run for 30 days. Now is the time to stop lurking from shadows and do some modelling! :cowboypistol:

can we sds if the pre smoothed mesh is 99 or less ? 

14 minutes ago, Sikorsky said:

Really cool challenge people, did not expect this and it sure levels up this forum for people who subscribed. too bad I am horrible modeler but will enjoy seeing what people can do with 99 polyugons 🙂

I don't know that modeling skill is the biggest factor here, as a lot seems to be riding on what kind of creative ways people think to make 99 polys into an idea bigger than their number. It seems like an artistic and conceptual thinking competition more so than a modeling competition. 

A long while ago I modeled a faceted garden gnome.

I thought that would make a nice entry for this challenge as I was 100% certain that model had way less than the max. allowed 99 polygons.

I was shocked to find out the body alone had more than 250 polygons. Not counting those of the legs (78) and shovel (27).

A major revisit was required ...

Now I don't expect to win any prize with this. Just consider it my contribution to get the challenge going.

Gnome99.thumb.png.dbf49b031879f5f35d1923eda97a57a2.png

On 6/24/2022 at 3:34 PM, Igor said:

we are looking for pure polygon modelling, without generators, render time displacements or any other assistance. 

So, I take this to mean that other than subdivision, nothing else is permissible, like cloners and symmetry. 

An example that would not be permitted (if I understand): I make a quarter of a circle that contains 20 polys. I then use two symmetry objects to make it a full circle. I use a cloner to duplicate circles into a corrugated tube. This is would not be allowed even though the total physical polys used was 20. Is this correct? I have no problem if this is the rule, I just wanted to clarify this. Thanks

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.