Asset Browser and Royal Render

Leo D
Go to solution Solved by JSoft,

Does anyone here happen to be using Asset Browser with Royal Render? We're trying to get this to work, so far without success. We have our own Asset Browser database that is on our server and is loaded on every workstation via the C4D Preferences. I created a test scene with different assets from this database. As long as I render in the Picture Viewer, all textures are found, but unfortunately not via Royal Render. I suspect this is because Royal Render uses the Comadline version of C4D and the database may not be loaded there. Anyone know how to load an Asset Browser Database for C4D Comadline? Or does anyone have another solution to this problem. I am very grateful for every hint!!

Edited by Leo D (see edit history)

Commandline should use the same prefs as the GUI version, so if you set the Asset Databases correctly there they should translate to Commandline. You can test this by rendering from the commandlien using Standard render. If you ar eunsure if the prefs are correctly shared, you can enforce the usage of the same prefs folder by using this commandline argument g_prefsPath=

Thanks a lot for your reply Srek!! I do believe that we set up the asset database correctly: we have several users on each workstation, one of whom is the Royal Render user. The database is loaded in all users see screenshot:

image.thumb.png.f60538f22cd7fa0ea180cd7f520dc227.png
Today I did some more tests with very surprising results:
1. Via Royal Render: All textures are missing

image.thumb.jpeg.0cdb567f210e88b378f55ea5d804135e.jpeg
2. Command line via Powershell without the argument: Some textures are missing but not all. On closer inspection, I noticed that all textures that are loaded in Redshift via the texture node are there, but the textures that are loaded directly without a texture node (in the sprite shader and in the domelight) are missing. Very strange.

image.jpeg.694d7e6b5e61d9e0ffc3a735425c754a.jpeg
3. Commandline via Powershell with the argument "g_prefsPath=": All textures are there. After rendering, a warning comes up in Powershell: Warning: Unknown arguments: Cinema 4D R26_7DC20B77

image.jpeg.2c4725f592b0fcd7dc9cc826c05bc5df.jpeg

So the "g_prefsPath=" argument seems to be the solution here. Many Thanks!!

We can now try whether we can get Royal Render to take over this argument.
But unfortunately i still can't  wrap my head around this whole thing. How can it be that C4D Commandline finds some textures and not others without the argument? Are the preferences set up correctly?
And if we now get Royal Render to use this argument, can we put a Preferences folder on our server so that we don't have to set up a separate path for each client?
Unfortunately, I'm a normal C4D artist and not a network administrator or anything like that and I'm very grateful for any help!!

Edited by Leo D (see edit history)
  • Solution

Not sure if you still need help with this but Redshift/RoyalRender user here for the past 6 years or so. Setting this up is a bit confusing but you're on the right track.

In your local preferences folder (c:\Users\you\AppData\Roaming\MAXON\Cinema_Version) you'll find a settings.userinstallation.json file. This stores the path of the shared asset database that you set up to use locally.

The next step is to copy that .json file to a shared location and edit the Royal Render environment to use that shared prefs location. The RR docs explain how to edit your environment variables but again it can be a little confusing with all of the files involved.

In the RR install folder the environment files are in //RoyalRender/render_apps/_setenv/all. There is an environment config for each 3D app so look for the cinema 4d*.rrEnv ones. Note that the only one you should create/edit is the cinema 4d__inhouse.rrenv file. This is your custom environment that remains untouched by any RR updates. Add the g_userprefs = Z:\PATH_TO_SHARED_PREFS line to this file. All Royal Render clients will now use that shared prefs directory and the corresponding asset database(s) that are defined in the .json file.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community