Restore cinema 4d workspace?

Go to solution Solved by Cerbera,

Today I formatted my C partition that had all the software installed. However, I backed up C4D programme files in my external hard drive. How can I restore my cinema 4d shortcuts and workspaces back ?

Copy pasting and overwriting  the folder from external hard drive >> "D:\Program Files\Maxon Cinema 4D R26\library\layout", then pasting it into my c4d installation didn't help. 

Edited by scifidesigner (see edit history)
  • Solution

No. Layouts shouldn't go there - the layouts should be copied to the library / layout folder within your preferences folder (which can be opened directly from within Cinemas preferences; see button at the bottom), and then the program restarted, after which they should show up.

CBR

Your settings (and actually all user specific stuff like most plugin installations) reside in a separate directory that normally is in the <Username>/AppData/Roaming/MAXON directory and is named with a hex code, like "Cinema 4D V23_D0807BAB221". You can find out where it is by looking at the settings dialog, it's in the bottom line.

You can theoretically put that directory somewhere else, but I guess you haven't done that (or you'd know about it).

Sadly, the user directories are normally located on C too, so you probably just formatted all over it.

8 hours ago, Cairyn said:

Your settings (and actually all user specific stuff like most plugin installations) reside in a separate directory that normally is in the <Username>/AppData/Roaming/MAXON directory and is named with a hex code, like "Cinema 4D V23_D0807BAB221". You can find out where it is by looking at the settings dialog, it's in the bottom line.

You can theoretically put that directory somewhere else, but I guess you haven't done that (or you'd know about it).

Sadly, the user directories are normally located on C too, so you probably just formatted all over it.

Awesome. Thanks a lot. I'm back with my customized layouts! I copy pasted the files from the folders like you have mentioned. Actually I did an image backup of my C drive. Unfortunately, I could not restore from the backup and kept running into blue screen errors. I can access all the files from the backup though.

So now I'm installing all software from scratch. Any way I can get back my customized shortcuts and redshift render settings templates as well?

Edited by scifidesigner (see edit history)
1 hour ago, scifidesigner said:

Awesome. Thanks a lot. I'm back with my customized layouts! I copy pasted the files from the folders like you have mentioned. Actually I did an image backup of my C drive. Unfortunately, I could not restore from the backup and kept running into blue screen errors. I can access all the files from the backup though.

So now I'm installing all software from scratch. Any way I can get back my customized shortcuts and redshift render settings templates as well?

The shortcuts should be in the same directory as prefs/shortcuttable.res. (Note that I am still on R23, and Maxon has done changes to their directory setup, so my information may be outdated.) I don't know about Redshift, don't have that.

But actually... as long as you install the same version that you had before, copying the (content of the) full preferences folder into the generated preferences folder from the installation should work and restore all your settings and plugin installations. (Paths to external plugin directories would come with the preferences, and plugins addressed through an environment variable should be fine by default.)

The way to specify a non-default location for the preferences used to be adding(!) the following parameter to the call link under Target:

g_prefspath="your path to the preferences folder"

At least that was the case in R23. I basically keep all manually edited stuff off the C drive but that's just the way I like it 😉

Thanks. I copy pasted shortcuttable.res but that didn't restore my shortcuts. Then I recreated them from scratch. I'll now create a separate folder for preferences. Learning the lessons of backing up  the hard drive and settings the hard way after this disaster of corrupt hard drive struck me. 😆

• 2 months later...