3D/Media Asset Management?

I'm trying to get more organized with all my digital assets, and am frustrated about one particular thing.

First some background:

I'm re-evaluating two programs to quickly view images, assets and review audio:

-Adobe Bridge

-XnView MP

XnView is a little better for images, but Bridge allows me to preview Substances. (I welcome hearing about what you use and why)

But I'm trying to build and organize my 3d library as well as better manage all my models and it's very difficult as neither of these two programs is any help in viewing a thumbnail for OBJ, FBX files. File names are often little help to describe Greeble and you often want to quickly scan through a bunch of them.

I've done a little googling and it seems to be difficult to find any software that does that...or any software that can process a folder and build useful preview images from 3d files. Ideally, I'd also like to be able to quickly add tags and filter by meta-tags.

Can anyone help?

Edit: OK I do see my c4d R20 content browser does a pretty slick job quickly building .obj and .fbx previews. Pretty slick. Blender can't do that with OBJ/FBX. Still I'd prefer an all-purpose stand-alone app...with tags.

Must. Get. Organized.

So everyone is clear about what we are talking about....some screen grabs

Adobe Bridge's SBAR previews...  Worrying thing is that I've heard Adobe might kill Bridge, and even if they don't they are stripping PSD and other cloud apps of 3d features. (Reserving them all for their growing 3d portfolio that requires an additional subscription)

image.thumb.jpeg.d88ec6c3b7ba12174d474e8bd3864dcd.jpeg

C4d content browser as of R20

image.thumb.jpeg.09717bffcf6e8c0c8aeb7c6fd6c1500a.jpeg

XnViewMP (free) has some slick features, but not much use for any 3d file formats.

image.thumb.jpeg.0169a19c9741751a442b61829b942142.jpeg

4 hours ago, keppn said:

"Connecter" could be a solution?

https://www.designconnected.com/connecter/

I have tried it only briefly. I immediately missed Bridge's ability to render Raw-Files with Lightroom's xmp-Edits. I think I'll never get out of Adobe's grasp, sigh 😅

Interesting. Looking at their website there were key questions I didn't see easy answers.

-What is their pricing/business model? (free download doesn't tell me much). I get wary when that isn't obvious.

-Is this cloud centric? (that's a no-go for me)

I would only add a new asset manager if it had a perpetual license or was free. And I only want it to work with my local storage. 

They have an asset shop at https://www.designconnected.com
So I guess they provide Connecter as a free tool to make it easier to manage shopped assets - in a way like Quixel Bridge for Megascans. 

It seems to work completely offline... in fact, i just browsed the features for the first time in a long while, and they added some stuff like PBR-Previews that seem quite handy. I think I'll give it another try... 

47 minutes ago, imashination said:

My preferred method is "oh, I think I remember making that material 3 years ago, let me go check an old file and steal it from there"

😆 But when one's acute memory fades to "utterly wonky"...you seek better options.

Connector and Bridge so far, along with PureRef depending on task.

I've tried others like Allusion (images) and Snowtrack (images/3D/c4d plugin).   Allusion isn't far enough along and is missing key things.   Snowtrack seems nice enough but its 3D engine is slower than Connector at the moment.   It does have a nice versioning tool for C4D that just came out of beta about a month ago.  I used it in beta but didn't buy it yet.   Eagle is another one but it has the same fault as C4D with no local indexing (meaning it ingests into its own DB) which can cause issues down the road and forces you to keep your assets in two place. 

Anchorpoint is another one in beta.  It can be used for asset browsing as well as project management, using a Notion style interface for tagging, reviewing, etc.   They're still working on FBX/OBJ support with thumbnails/pop up.

Edited by Jeff H1 (see edit history)

Thoughts so far:

- SnowTrack and AnchorPoint seem mostly focused on project management / versioning. That could be cool and valuable, but not what I'm looking for.

- Allusion doesn't feature the 3d features I'm looking for

- Connector's web site makes me unsettled. I like a site that gives me information about the corporation, team and business model. You don't find this on their site. Their software does seem to be closest to what I'm looking for, but I'm wary of hacking/security. Perhaps I'm being neurotic, but there it is. Haven't ruled them out yet though.