Retopology in Cinema 4D or 3D Coat?

JakS
Go to solution Solved by Cerbera,

Hello.

I have been working through a Zbrush video course which uses 3D Coat for retopology. I now realise that Cinema 4D is set up to retopologise a mesh. 

Is there any advantage in using 3D Coat over Cinema 4D?

Many thanks.

JakS

• Solution

If you have HB modelling bundle, retopo is a breeze and a joy, but even without it Cinema is capable, if not stellar in this area, particularly in latest versions, where we have the relax mode for the brush and magnet tools and we can project poly pen to underlying meshes live as we use it.

I can't answer if 3D coat is better for this, never having used it, but the fact that I do retopo pretty much every day, and have never felt the need to leave Cinema to do it must say something...

CBR

Good plan. HB gives you superb modelling tools that we are only starting to see in native Cinema in very recent versions: Quad-caps, even distribution, surface-aware relax, straighten edges, smooth edges, clip symmetry and of course its immaculate retopo setup, which is based on the shrink-wrap deformer.

Pre S26 it was the best 100 quid you could spend in Cinema for the most gain. Even with S26 it remains useful, but not nearly to the same degree...

Here is Holger doing some retopo using his HB toolkit...

CBR

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community