UI Poll - just for C4D R25+ Users

Jops

UI Poll - just for C4D R25+ Users  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Since R25 you can choose between the new UI Layout and the old one - which UI layout are you using?

• I use the NEW one.
    • I use the OLD one.

Yeah I think a lot of us weren't expecting to get a new UI when it arrived, but that the majority seem pleased it did, small fixes notwithstanding...

I've also kept my custom layout mainly the same since R11, but finally did a brand new custom one for R25.

CBR

yes I am surprised by the result, as I find It really hard to get up to speed with the new layout. would have prefered to have the old icons with it to get used to it. But I am working with c4d for well over 20 Years now so I seems normal for me to have slightly more problems with adapting then people that might have used the software for a shorter periode of time.

I know what you mean. Although I like the new look and layout it did take about a month before I stopped going to the old places to get tools, and the oft-changing menus still get me sometimes...

CBR

7 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

the oft-changing menus still get me sometimes.

Unfortunately this is something I just can't stand or tolerate. I've tried everything possible to stop it from doing so to every degree possible and still it bothers me to no end. 

20 hours ago, Jops said:

yes I am surprised by the result, as I find It really hard to get up to speed with the new layout. would have prefered to have the old icons with it to get used to it. But I am working with c4d for well over 20 Years now so I seems normal for me to have slightly more problems with adapting then people that might have used the software for a shorter periode of time.

I struggeled with the new Gui, have a love hate relationsip with it (the icons don't really work, are hard to distinguish visually and many more problems) but realized they will never go back. I bascially go around it by using quicksearch more often. Other parts I really like. But it is the GUi I use here and they will not revert it.

Btw: my main issue is the OM. If you have very long object names like in CAD files the tag tab slides off into invisible space. Super annoying. I find myself like 20 times a day dragging back the separator in OM just to see the Tags. They need to make the separtor fixed. See here. The tags simply shift off into left off screeen:

Untitled-1.jpg.8d2189834794206fb6fbd89316f558fa.jpg

Edited by zeden (see edit history)
8 hours ago, zeden said:

I struggeled with the new Gui, have a love hate relationsip with it (the icons don't really work, are hard to distinguish visually and many more problems) but realized they will never go back. I bascially go around it by using quicksearch more often. Other parts I really like. But it is the GUi I use here and they will not revert it.

Btw: my main issue is the OM. If you have very long object names like in CAD files the tag tab slides off into invisible space. Super annoying. I find myself like 20 times a day dragging back the separator in OM just to see the Tags. They need to make the separtor fixed. See here. The tags simply shift off into left off screeen:

yes a seperator would be the way to do it. you could try "vertical tags" (cant check if they still have it, as I am back to R20 right now)

Of course there are many things that are good with the new UI but the icons, the missing whitespace or orther means to make orientation easier, the missing optical seperation of floating windows and the fact, that the active corners change the aspect ratio of the 3D view need work though.

I use a custom UI, and i recommend everyone to custom their UI, in order to suit better each one's work.

Both UIs from c4d, the new and the classic, are designed to be simple and multi purpose. However, there are a lot of good and usefull tools that are hidden in the middle of menus, tools that actually deserve to be in the main UI (i recall the transfer tool , among others).

What really bothers me in these new versions is the missing icons . I really like some of the older icon display. I guess  there is also many people that share the same opinion. In this case i think maxon did a terrible job by changing something that was working and that actually no one was complaining about.

cheers

My biggest issue with the new UI are the new icons.  The hot corners, tabs, and even the color scheme (while not 100% perfect in all cases) make great sense to me and are welcome additions.  I struggle most with recognizing the new icons.  One recommendation I have is for everyone to create their own custom layout as the act of placing commands where you want them is a great exercise in visually recognizing the icons that go with those commands.

My biggest complaint though is that some icons are still missing.  Not sure why the decision was made to throw out all the old icons if they were not all going to be replaced by a new icon.  While the old icon may "clash" against the color pallet of the new UI, it is certainly less jarring than seeing the generic gear symbol all over your custom layout.  Permission to use an analogy:  Say you were replacing the windows of your house, but the contractor did not have enough of the new windows to finish the job.  Would you let the contractor throw away all the old windows first and then use plywood to cover up the holes left by the missing new windows?  No.  What you would do is tell the contractor NOT to start until he has all the replacement windows available.

Well, we have been waiting for new icons for over a year now.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.