Charging render time? (no farm)

Yeah you have to charge something for this time - your (presumably) massively expensive electricity is still going on during rendering is it not, and probably moreso cos your GPU is working so hard ?!

But perhaps not your full hourly rate....

CBR 

I dont think its common to charge for render time as a seperate element. Very unusual in my experience. It should be factored into your hourly rate or job quote. (I also work freelance in the netherlands FYI).

Daily R&D tests are just normal hourly rate... For bigger render jobs where my machine is busy preventing me from doing other work for periods of time, then I'd just add a slighty arbitrary amount of time onto my bill, depending on how inconvenient it is.

17 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Yeah you have to charge something for this time - your (presumably) massively expensive electricity is still going on during rendering is it not, and probably moreso cos your GPU is working so hard ?!

But perhaps not your full hourly rate....

I find it just a difficult issue. Yes 2 GPU's are slurping when rendering of course. At the same time, I also have so many other costs, software, hardware, etc that I don't 'charge' for, it's paid from my income.

On the other hand, if I'd give my client the option to render at the farm at xx rate, or at home at reduced rate, the choice would be obvious.

1 hour ago, davetwo said:

I dont think its common to charge for render time as a seperate element. Very unusual in my experience. It should be factored into your hourly rate or job quote. (I also work freelance in the netherlands FYI).

Daily R&D tests are just normal hourly rate... For bigger render jobs where my machine is busy preventing me from doing other work for periods of time, then I'd just add a slighty arbitrary amount of time onto my bill, depending on how inconvenient it is.

I like this. Because even though this client is at the top of the dance music industry, these organizations aren't very organized. They tour 5-6 days a week and party (and make lots of money). It's a cowboy world, also on the business side of things 😎 They just want to know what the whole thing costs and move on.

If I were to render for an ad agency or something corporate, I the other approach could also work I suppose.

Digital Artist / Amsterdam \ IG: @christophvoorn

2 minutes ago, Christoph Voorn said:

I find it just a difficult issue. Yes 2 GPU's are slurping when rendering of course. At the same time, I also have so many other costs, software, hardware, etc that I don't 'charge' for, it's paid from my income.

On the other hand, if I'd give my client the option to render at the farm at xx rate, or at home at reduced rate, the choice would be obvious.

I like this. Because even though this client is at the top of the dance music industry, these organizations aren't very organized. They tour 5-6 days a week and party (and make lots of money). It's a cowboy world, also on the business side of things 😎 They just want to know what the whole thing costs and move on.

If I were to render for an ad agency or something corporate, I the other approach could also work I suppose.

A big problem I have is that sometimes a render takes a LOT longer because of the materials (ie lots of rough transparencies, matals, SSS. A 30 minute render with simple materials can jump to 4 hours with complex ones. But I cant charge a client different rates for different materialisatios of the same product of course.

A big thing to remember - is that you CAN use a farm and write the costs against your business as an expense. THE BTW/VAT is taken off straight away and the costs will be (partially) deducted against your taxable income. 

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community