Affinity Suite... Something big is Coming?

hobbyist

• Customer

I haven't tried the Affinity software but remember it getting a mention here before. I think it was in one of the Black Friday deals.

Wonder what the big reveal will be tomorrow

bought Affinity Photo last year... wasn't that impressed so much.  Still prefer Photoshop.   Also the updates were far less frequent.    Curious to see what they think is their big "tada" for the community.

14 minutes ago, Jeff H1 said:

bought Affinity Photo last year... wasn't that impressed so much.  Still prefer Photoshop.   Also the updates were far less frequent.    Curious to see what they think is their big "tada" for the community.

My partner bought Affinity a year ago and I have been impressed to see that every feature she needs from Photoshop there is an Affinity equivalent. 

I am curious to know why less updates is an issue?  Do you expect new features to constantly be added? Even if that software was a one off payment with no subscription?

for tweaking textures I find Photoshop a lot easier.   Photoshop is also more responsive.   I found larger files or a lot of layers, Affinity bogs down easier.   That's when I was messing around with matte scenes.   Regarding updates, it's about crashes and stability.    Also, Photoshop is constantly refining their tools including the AI construct for touchups and selection.    I'll be curious to see what Affinity has with regards to AI implementation tomorrow.    Interesting that their reveal happens the same day as Maxon's live event.... hrmm 😉

The last place I worked, we almost moved completely away from Adobe, looking at Affinity tools and Resolve.    But with print, web, design and video teams under one umbrella, it just wasn't robust enough.   

Good video. 

Adobe's Creative Suite is such a mixed bag at the moment. Some parts of it are really ripe for an disruptive opponent, because they just don't care or dare to touch the basics: 

InDesign

It feels like an app from 1994. So slow, pixelated... you literally don't see what you're doing. Horror. 

Photoshop

The basics creak and moan, because layer upon layer of cruft is just added on. Somehow though, performance is still decent. Still the king of the hill, in my book. Surprisingly. Also, it's funny that even with the newest AI-updates, masking STILL sucks. Just buy RemoveBG already, they have that sorted out for years... 

XD

Fast, clean, sleek, powerful. What a nice surprise this app is. Collaborative, literally no slow-downs even with a packed artboard. I ❤️ this app. 

Illustrator

I think I'll never dive into this strange beast. Freehand was still better 😕

Bridge

Hahaha, lol, the performance... I guess they'll never fix it. Also, broken previews of Quicktime MOVs with alpha... for years. No HDRI interpretation. No nothing. This is the worst asset manager. 

Premiere

It's okay-ish. When it works. Sometimes, it has these strange hiccups where you have to jump through all the hoops to make it work again. Or export that one file that keeps getting stuck. I hate Premiere for that. I assume, this is also a result of cruft & legacy code

After Effects

It's okay-ish. Still feels like an app from 2004. Performance is not bad, but a lot of the User Interaction model is so dated. 

Lightroom

Yeah, my love. Since they miraculously turned it around regarding performance, I just love Lightroom. It's fast, it's reliable, it has all the tools AND: it's the only app where they really designed it for the target audience. Like - really. The basics laid out with Lightroom 1 where so strong, they still profit from that. Best app in the Suite. 

Acrobat Pro

The exact opposite of Lightroom regarding User Interaction. Whoever thought of that separate Page with all the tools should be fired from UX/UI immediately. Forever. What a dumpster fire. 

The rest I don't know about. The biggest opening is print. Which is funny, because historically, that was Adobe's push to power. Remember how they dethroned QuarkXPress over night with Indesign? Well, print is now their Achilles' heel. It will be interesting to see, if Affinity will attack here. 

Ah, I forgot: The %#§$-lame splash screens going on for years now. What's with the teddys, Adobe? 

They had a really good design for CS5, I'd still like to have that back, please. image.png.8935049d7a06d6b763269dc0acae358a.png

Edited by keppn (see edit history)
3 minutes ago, BoganTW said:

Re After Effects, Left Angle's Autograph launches very soon and numerous Reddit folk posting in the After Effects "Why is AE so crashy?" threads are waiting for it. Does a lot of the same stuff, newly written code.

I hadn't heard of that one, thanks for the tip! 

@keppnWow. I never thought I'd see a reference to Aldus Freehand this many years on. Are you also going to say PageMaker is still better than InDesign or Quark? Ha. Two can play this game!

I don't use InDesign a ton, but I think you're not setting up your screen properly if you say it's "pixelate" and "can't see what you're doing". Is this what you're talking about?

InDesignDisplay.jpg

Yes, I'm talking about the preview setting. I see, you're on Mac, performance is a lot better there. 

On Windows, you either have the pixelated preview or "High fidelity" with a crawling performance. It's not even High fidelity, the quality still sucks. 

(This is on hi-end rigs. I guess Indesign's Rendering on Windows is still completely software-based. And bad at that...)

Let's hope that 'one big thing you've been waiting for' is the ability to easily and directly modify alpha channels just like any other channel... a request that has been around for years on the Affinity Photo forum - with absolutely no response from them.

A.Photo is a good application in many respects - but is tripped up by weakness in a few key areas. I have a copy, but Photoshop still reigns supreme for the stuff I do. I'll be interested to see what the Affinity crew deliver.

PS: I agree about the Ps / Adobe splash screens : )

This video made me want to learn more about Affinity because very little was said other than something great is coming.  Well, you go the website and it is down because they are "working on something big".

Well, not sure why they had to take the old site down but all I know is that if you are creating this much of a mystery....you better deliver.

History has shown that rarely does reality live up to the hype and this just feels like hype to me.....but I could be cynical.

Always happy to be pleasantly surprised --- so here's to hoping.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.