Stick on ground - best method

Smolak

Hi, I need objects to be sticked on the displaced ground. I tried constrain clamp tag but it reset position of every object after scene is reloading. Using "lock position" for every object after changing position is time consuming. Is there any better way to do this ?

• Customer
9 hours ago, Smolak said:

Is there any better way to do this ?

Is your surface animated ?

If it is, it's more intuitive to use a cloner for the placement. The "bad" thing is that in order to make precise placements you kneed to make relations. For example to place your objects precisely on certain areas of polygons you would need to create a new point on that polygon (essentially creating more polygons) and use that point as a selection input for the cloner. If the object is placed on point selections they won't follow the curvature of the surface though... to remedy that you'll have to use polygon selections. Also don't forget to place the pivot point of your objects to their base of placement, easy to do using the Geometry Axis Capsule.

If your object is parametric you can use the Correction Deformer to make the polygon selections unfortunately there is a bug in 2023 preventing you doing that as mentioned here.

Thank you all for very instructive informations. I will try them all.

As for scene - I mean very simple ground plane displaced by Displacer and objects on it like people, plants etc. This scene will not be animated at the moment but I'm interesting with animated too in the future. Objects will be moving to different positions manually using Takes.

Attached simple scene. Placement tools is no way because I need to change terrain displacement during time. Constraints are good but they need to set every time locked positions.

Also is there way to search tags by their name ? I noticed that there is way to add these constraints to special layer and select them all after that using "select from layer" command to switching locked positions for moving objects. The need of unlocking and locking them every time is very confusing and badly...

stick ground disp.c4d

Edited by Smolak (see edit history)

Hi Smolak

Here is my cheap n cheerful R18 method of sticking things to the floor. As previously stated you can clone directly onto a displaced surface and the objects will follow the displacement but in that case you cannot choose their individual positions.

In the version below I have placed 5 individual polys / planes inside a connect  and Im cloning onto the poly centres of the connect object, this means if you move each square your cloned object moves with it. 

If we put the connect in a null with an exact copy of the displacer used on the large plain, then the connected polys will follow the movement of the bigger plane.

Hope that makes sense, file below should explain all.

Deck

Stick and move 01.c4d

On 11/30/2022 at 2:35 AM, Smolak said:

Attached simple scene. Placement tools is no way because I need to change terrain displacement during time. Constraints are good but they need to set every time locked positions.

What do you mean with "they need to set every time locked positions" ?

1 hour ago, bezo said:

What do you mean with "they need to set every time locked positions" ?

"Locked Position" must be checked if we don't want to mess whole scene while reopening it because all objects using constraints will lose their positions.

image.png.c523d3c8a73c97199a55185767199ad4.png

This one solution is good too

Scene with simplified user interface to select objects :

ground_collision_xpresso_user.c4d

I did the same using Capsule but the problem is that it doesn't update in realtime while moving object. To make update there is need to call Refresh View command. Is that Scene Nodes limitation ?

image.png.443b36f8d32b57c3199201219d571e0f.png

ground_collision_Capsule.c4d

Edited by Smolak (see edit history)

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community