Maybe it's time to open the forum again and bring back the ads?

No One

Obviously only Igor knows the financials - but I think HappyPolygon has made a good suggestion. I suspect there are very few who will sign up for even a minor forum subscription 'blind' - particularly when there are so many free alternatives.

I think it would be a shame if the forum disappears. There’s not really any alternative anywhere else on the web. The sub Reddit for c4d for example is dead as a door nail I don’t see c4d zone doing much either.

it really does surprise me that Maxon don’t see the value of having a dedicated forum for their software, that answers many of their users query’s a service they don’t offer them selves and don’t look like they plan on doing anytime soon.

I get Igors frustration and stand point, the amount of work that’s gone into keeping the forum alive and kicking whilst simultaneously having support pulled, would leave anyone with a bad taste in their mouth. There’s only so long you can keep doing something before you think F - it.

I agree having the forum as ready only until you subscribe would be beneficial, at least that way people can see what they’re getting and can make an informed decision about joining. 

We lost support from company which we directly helped create numerous customers and build up user base. I was puzzled by  this but I simply don't care anymore.  In the end I had a simpel decision. Either I introduce a small membership fee and keep the forum and all the knowledge alive, or I simply close it down. Even with membership fee forum is growing daily.

While I’m not very active here, I drop by almost every day to see what’s up. But I would also prefer if the paywall was only for posting stuff. People sharing high-quality answers - for any 3d program - will always attract new people. 

Regarding ads, they never bothered me. 

On 12/1/2022 at 5:37 PM, Igor said:

We lost support from company which we directly helped create numerous customers and build up user base. I was puzzled by  this but I simply don't care anymore.  In the end I had a simpel decision. Either I introduce a small membership fee and keep the forum and all the knowledge alive, or I simply close it down. Even with membership fee forum is growing daily.

So even with the ads the site didn't pay itself? I totally misunderstood what happened them, sorry about that @Igor.

I thought it was a choice to get rid of annoying ads, not a necessity. 

As this is the case, there is nothing we can do then, as you said.

But it's really puzzling that Maxon does not see the value in having a Cinema 4D community and to keep years of valuable threads online.

But I'm sure Maxon has its reasons.

Care to enlighten us @DMcGavran?

• Customer
9 hours ago, No One said:

But it's really puzzling that Maxon does not see the value in having a Cinema 4D community and to keep years of valuable threads online.

I think that ship has long sailed at this stage.

On 12/1/2022 at 10:09 AM, HappyPolygon said:

@Igor My proposal is to keep the paywall but let people see the content of the website for free. Currently everything is behind closed doors, no one can see what exactly we are doing here. 

Only those who want to comment or post a topic should have to pay a membership.

This way we keep unwanted firestarters and trolls away. I don't think there would be someone willing to pay just to have the ability to rant for anything.

You will also have a worthy revenue because more people will be willing to pay the small annual subscription just to post their question having seen the quality of help in this site.

This seems like the best solution for growing the membership. Is it technically too hard to do or what exactly is the argument against it?

I tried signing out to see what is accessible and seems front page and all the topics are visible but threads contain "register for full' access. pretty sure Igor did best what he could, it is likely that it is not finacially viable. is the story about impsoing name change true? that is really shitty if you ask me but who knows

On 12/3/2022 at 12:50 AM, No One said:

So even with the ads the site didn't pay itself? I totally misunderstood what happened them, sorry about that @Igor.

I thought it was a choice to get rid of annoying ads, not a necessity. 

As this is the case, there is nothing we can do then, as you said.

I think you are asking Igor no?  Maxon clearly sees a value or people from Maxon wouldn't post here????