UV Edit limitation/bug?

Jeff H1

I can't seemingly zoom in any further on the UV Editor.  Is seems to have a limitation on how far you can zoom in?    Also, UV shells are all blinky and stuff just moving my mouse.    2023.1.2.      I'd gladly beta any updates!

please make the UV editor nice enough to take home to mama.... 

image.thumb.png.431a5d64662cec1ab9b8cfd458312d19.png

Edited by Jeff H1 (see edit history)

Coming back to this post because I have been UVing all day yesterday and generally, have been having a lovely time of it and enjoying the UV Edit layout !

And it's been unwrapping my golf clubs very nicely indeed, with colors showing me what little distortion remains, and island connectivity - I'd say that was nice enough to take home to mum !

image.thumb.png.1cbadd722cfef7d21e2e720290cd5e77.png

That is not to say we can't find things to improve about it, but as usable layouts go I reckon we're doin' OK after the re-vamp...

What is it you don't like, @Jeff H1, apart from the zoom limit thing, and  what do you feel we are still lacking ?

CBR

EDIT:  I'll preface it with the possibility that I'm expecting some features to work a certain way and the devs found a different way for those features to work.

- Cut command.  I don't want it to always "unwrap" for me.   Also, sometimes the unwrap can get unruly.  If I select edges and hit unwrap, it arbitrarily cuts other edges and the edges I selected were never unwrapped.   

- Selecting a poly in UV Edit mode and wanting to move it.  I don't always want it to separate from the island.  I'm forced to go into edge mode to move the edges  (or points).   

- Weld options.    With an edge selected show the associated shared edge of the other UV island it will weld to.   Also, have the UV island MOVE and fit to match the UV island it was just welded to.  Currently if you select an edge, you don't really know what it will weld to and the welded edges of the two UV islands are stretched to meet each other in the middle. 

- Relax and Optimize brushes (and separate commands too for all around adjustments of the whole UV set).   On your golf club example I notice some tight grouping of some UVs (displayed in tinted red).  Having brushes that allow to relax those would be helpful.   Or in cases where UVs are completely screwy or flipped, having an Optimize brush can help to sort those out.
- Texel Density.   While there is an older free script out there to check and adjust texel density between 2 models, it's not part of C4D proper.  Also, there's no ability even in that free script to adjust the texel density within the UV map currently open.  For instance, you have hard surface model and you're unwrapping it.  Ultimately after unwrapping certain parts you have UV islands that are way too big or too small.  They need to be the same size for texturing purposes.   Selecting one UV island as reference to get its texel density, then selecting the over/undersized ones and applying that density would be useful.
- UDIMs.   I'm not the first or the last person.  😉

weld who?
image.thumb.png.0081d67fca8a573c70b5f7d7529264b5.png

oh welded that.
image.thumb.png.16d9c49368cdcc98c42509194e256bfb.png

Also, I'm going through this tutorial which is helpful in understanding some of the workflow, including the texel density which I mentioned above.  Apparently in UV Packing you can Equalize Island Size.  It's more of an automatic solution.

1 hour ago, Jeff H1 said:

Selecting a poly in UV Edit mode and wanting to move it.  I don't always want it to separate from the island.  I'm forced to go into edge mode to move the edges  (or points).   

I will answer this one quickly - no you are not 😉 In the move tool (attributes, UV edit) there is that little box 'keep neighbour components' and it is this which governs whether polys get torn off or not when you select and move them in the UV layout...

image.png.1520d386ca3b7f5d875f8915604a086d.png

CBR

nice thanks for the tip!   C4D has a lot of features that to some of us are seemingly tucked away because we sometimes get trapped in the way other apps do things.  It's nice to even see the soft selection in those options too!

just an update.  Here's what I was talking about regarding the Unwrap just not understanding sometimes.   I was trying to redo some of the UVs.   Granted, this geo is a rectangle that had a circle boolean which was applied (current state>object) and I didn't add supporting edges coming from it afterwards.    You can actually see issues with the geo on the left size of the circle.   So maybe unwrap is having problems with the geo.   (Unwrapissues1.mkv)

I went through and added some knife cuts above and below the boolean then ran some edges from various points on the circle to the edges of the knife cuts just to give it something.     I then tried the same thing, selecting edges and unwrapping but it appears the same issue is happening although this time there's another error.  I don't see my border edges anymore (still the same scene with the same View UV Seams turned on).   (BorderEdgesMissing.mkv)

Besides not being able to see the border edges on that mesh now, I also can't seem to select the individual UV islands by double clicking.  If I double click it selects all of the islands.    If I go to another mesh and try to double click to select an island it works.     (UV Islands.mkv)

EDIT:  It looks like the video positions are reversed below.  Also forgive the capture.  I was using OBS and it wouldn't take the whole screen for some reason at first.   Free software!

547072174_UVIslands.mkv BorderEdgesMissing.mkv UnwrapIssues1.mkv

One other thing I realized that may have been tripping me up about the move tool and the "Keep Neighbor Components" checked is the move tool switches between the normal move attributes and the UV Edit move tool attributes when you go between the viewport and the UV Editor, unless you specifically toggle the button UV Mode:

image.thumb.png.8c324fae27eb24e344a476a162bf0ce0.png

Reading down your comprehensive list above, I am struck by why I never seem to encounter these issues in hours and hours of my own unwrapping, and I think we are using different methods !

The 'rules' I follow are thusly:

1. Only do automatic unwrap on sections of mesh clearly made for it.

2. Define poly selections, and project those frontally from all the best angles, then use 4, 5 and 6 keys to put those and align them where I want them.

3. Optionally Pin and Relax those meshes, optionally using cuts I have saved to a selection tag

4. Activate UV options to show Distortion (100%) and Island Connectivity (now I can see what connects where)

5. Use 'weld and relax' mainly in poly mode (instead of weld, on the whole) or manual UV point terracing to combine islands if necessary (and I tend to move the islands adjacent to where I want them to end up before doing this).

6. Further relaxment if I went the manual terrace route.

7. UV Packing.

You will detect something of the 'legacy' in my workflow, and that is true - I liked the 'old' way of unwrapping stuff, and that continues to work for me very nicely in Cinema, enhanced as it is by the new layout and UV mode details. Occasionally I find that approach isn't optimal or takes a bit long for really organic stuff, so only then do I head over to the newer cut and unwrap tools like the Ministry of flat-based UV Unwrap etc. And because I don't use that much I guess that may be why your specific issues are new to me ! 🙂

You are right that in my example above the red areas are less than ideal (and that is the best Cinema's relax routines can manage using workflow above), but the Magnet (UV) and brush relax (modelling) tools are there to sort out situations like that, where it is important using the old workflow.

22 hours ago, Jeff H1 said:

Weld options.    With an edge selected show the associated shared edge of the other UV island it will weld to.   Also, have the UV island MOVE and fit to match the UV island it was just welded to.  Currently if you select an edge, you don't really know what it will weld to and the welded edges of the two UV islands are stretched to meet each other in the middle. 

If you have connectivity turned on you usually can see what will weld where. The UV Weld tool does not move islands first, and I believe that is intended. If you want to move islands at the same time, use weld and relax instead. The help is very illuminating about precisely how that works, but in trying it myself I have found a few bugs and moments of unexpected behaviour...

I can't answer your questions on texel density or UDIMs alas (though fairly sure Maxon is aware of and working on those) - as a mainly modeller I have so far considered those 'none of my business' , and there are people much better qualified than me to comment on those aspects.

CBR