Maxon now creating C4D Studio vs Broadcast dilemma with their nodes/capsules?

Jeff H1

Blender has some nice new releases imminent, a new version later this month, some chunky releases (including 4.0) for later this year.

Houdini has a big release 20 on the way, long awaited on the official forum. Nine Between has just started a good get-into-Houdini series, and SideFX takes the training aspect very seriously, lots of good tutorials get linked on their official page.

C4D seems to have hit its stride with a good cadence of awaited bits and pieces finally being added, see the past several months of good new features dropping on a regular basis. Yet they have so much catching up to do. So I expect notable releases and new features from all three apps this year. Beats me which one will become my preferred option, yet two of them are certainly cheaper than the other. This might be a matter of consideration when I make my eventual choice.

@BoganTWI am quite surprised seeing you taking this stance. If that's the case then @Jeff H1must have a good hunch on what's gonna happen in few years if nothing changes.

Maybe this info will lean you toward Houdini more than Blender. How I see 'C4D vs Houdini vs Blender' is 'Convenience vs Power vs Something in Between'.  What makes me stay with Houdini is knowing the caliber of people using it and then caliber of people being in Alpha, I am definitely last on that list, but I am a good bug hunter so I am welcomed in that group as Alpha tester as #1 reporter so far, others are more into RFE which is giving ideas and checking new stuff. I really focus on testing everything, not just new features, and to be honest, I cant test everything as some things are super technical, which hurts my brain. SideFX already implemented some of my ideas as I am always rooting for convenience knowing how important that is. What I also find interesting with SideFX is the fact that I never had to sign any kind of NDA, like wtf? That's the level of trust these guys have in us, incredible to say at least.

Now, the caliber of people that are in Alpha are folks from Weta, ILM, Unity etc...so if that's not a good reason to start with Houdini then I don't know what is. I am yet to find someone who regret learning it. 

• Customer
29 minutes ago, Igor said:

SideFX already implemented some of my ideas as I am always rooting for convenience knowing how important that is. What I also find interesting with SideFX is the fact that I never had to sign any kind of NDA, like wtf? That's the level of trust these guys have in us, incredible to say at least.

👍

I would agree with Igor about the calibre of people on the Sidefx forum and other Houdini hangouts - a good number of whom are very helpful.  TBH it's felt a little like moving up from school to university. That's not intended as an insult to the excellent skills and know-how of those helping out here - or on the Blender forums -  It's simply the case that given Houdini's place in the CG world, there are more high level users at high end studios doing high end work. Mixing, however tangentially, in that sort of company tends to sweep the junior users along for the ride.

When newbies such as myself get forum questions answered - often with code or sample files - by TD's from ILM and the like you do tend to pause for a moment : )

I can understand why everyone talks about Blender (it is free).  I can understand why everyone talks about Houdini (it is powerful).  And I can understand why everyone talks about C4D "on this forum" (because that is where we all came from originally).

So of those three, it would be understandable how Blender and Houdini may also be talked about on other forums as well.

But is anyone talking about modo anymore?  Honestly.  Do a quick YouTube search on C4D, and you will find tutorials being posted today and/or this week.  Do the same for modo and the most recent one I could find was from 10 months ago.

So what is the "word on the street" on modo?  Is it worth learning?  Did it overcome its stability issues?  Is it growing?

In short, in the discussion of what programs to learn "after" C4D, no one mentions Modo?

image.thumb.png.4f370d49f003122a8c696b8fe88589ee.png

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

I never see Modo discussed a lot though they do have their own forum. Might be an interesting exercise to Youtube search C4D TUTORIAL, HOUDINI TUTORIAL, BLENDER TUTORIA, MODO TUTORIAL and put the search results just for the last month, it might be indicative as to what's up and what's not.

59 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

I can understand why everyone talks about Blender (it is free).  I can understand why everyone talks about Houdini (it is powerful).  And I can understand why everyone talks about C4D "on this forum" (because that is where we all came from originally).

So of those three, it would be understandable how Blender and Houdini may also be talked about on other forums as well.

But is anyone talking about modo anymore?  Honestly.  Do a quick YouTube search on C4D, and you will find tutorials being posted today and/or this week.  Do the same for modo and the most recent one I could find was from 10 months ago.

So what is the "word on the street" on modo?  Is it worth learning?  Did it overcome its stability issues?  Is it growing?

In short, in the discussion of what programs to learn "after" C4D, no one mentions Modo?

image.thumb.png.4f370d49f003122a8c696b8fe88589ee.png

I have explanation...simple one...dumb price tag. 

7 hours ago, BoganTW said:

Blender has some nice new releases imminent, a new version later this month, some chunky releases (including 4.0) for later this year.

Houdini has a big release 20 on the way, long awaited on the official forum. Nine Between has just started a good get-into-Houdini series, and SideFX takes the training aspect very seriously, lots of good tutorials get linked on their official page.

C4D seems to have hit its stride with a good cadence of awaited bits and pieces finally being added, see the past several months of good new features dropping on a regular basis. Yet they have so much catching up to do. So I expect notable releases and new features from all three apps this year. Beats me which one will become my preferred option, yet two of them are certainly cheaper than the other. This might be a matter of consideration when I make my eventual choice.

Geez,  Maxon is losing its most ardent defender @BoganTW... this can't be a good sign... 

5 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Modo i going the way of Lightwave, Strata, Softimage,, Animation Master, etc... No future. 

In term of general 3D software, the big boys in town are Maya, C4D, Houdini, 3ds Max and Blender. And I think they are here to stay.

The first 4 because each one is very strong in one area/industry (Maya = Character Animation, Houdini = VFX, 3dsMax = Architecture, C4D = Mograph/Broadcast) and Blender because it actually became usable after 2.8 and it's getting better and better, and it's VERY customizable*.

* Even if you hate vanilla Blender, which is my case. Using the Pie Menu addon and some other tweaks I was able to make my Blender to act a lot like Maya. Very impressive.

Maxon and C4D are fine for what they are, but are they offering a compelling reason for a subscriber on the fence to stay rather than investigating alternatives? I'm not seeing it.

I'm going to try out Blender from this months later release, and will use 4.0 (due at end of year) to judge how I feel about it, and will try Houdini from the current 19.5, and use this year's later release 20 to see how I feel about that one. And that will give me a half year of watching whatever Maxon bring this year, plus whatever the reaction is, to make my judgement. My current job wraps up in about 10 months or so, which will give me more time thereafter to dive into whichever one I ultimately pick. No rush.

Edited by BoganTW (see edit history)

Pie menus are cool. Houdini definitely has some nice ones. I'll add those pie menus to my Blender install when I start it and see how it looks.

Note re Houdini - I've been very impressed with the training videos I've seen. They have a lot of quality training for it, so both Blender and Houdini are in the running.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community