Issue with Alembic import in UE5

We'll be needing more information than that...

Which version of what software created the Alembic would be a start, and what you used within that software to create the animation ! Also, which version of Unreal, which version of Alembic export, and ideally the file itself, so somebody else can try it !

CBR

Game engines and alembics are funny things. What works on re-import to C4D may not work at all when going to UE5. I've been battling this issue for the last few months with Unity. What I discovered was that there is a bit of a mindset shift required when going from linear to realtime. 

Are you exporting animation that starts from an "empty" scene? i.e. transform scale, or a sweep object with an animated start/end point? Game engines don't like importing content which has effectively nothing in it at the start, so add something on frame 0 even if it's just a copy of your final keys.

Are you exporting your alembics via the file>export menu? If so, I would recommend using "bake as alembic" from the object manager instead, as this seems to work much more reliably. 

• 3 months later...
On 3/8/2023 at 9:22 AM, Cerbera said:

We'll be needing more information than that...

Which version of what software created the Alembic would be a start, and what you used within that software to create the animation ! Also, which version of Unreal, which version of Alembic export, and ideally the file itself, so somebody else can try it !

CBR

Cinema 4D 2023 Was used to create the Alembic. Exported to Unreal 5.2. Unfortunately my file is too large to share here.

On 3/9/2023 at 7:50 AM, DanHinton said:

Game engines and alembics are funny things. What works on re-import to C4D may not work at all when going to UE5. I've been battling this issue for the last few months with Unity. What I discovered was that there is a bit of a mindset shift required when going from linear to realtime. 

Are you exporting animation that starts from an "empty" scene? i.e. transform scale, or a sweep object with an animated start/end point? Game engines don't like importing content which has effectively nothing in it at the start, so add something on frame 0 even if it's just a copy of your final keys.

Are you exporting your alembics via the file>export menu? If so, I would recommend using "bake as alembic" from the object manager instead, as this seems to work much more reliably. 

I believe it was from "Bake as Alembic". I'll try again at some point just to make sure, thank you.