Blender Take system

vicnorman

I'm trying hard to figure out Blender, coming from c4d and one thing that seems to be missing is a workflow like c4d's "take" system. I've been looking at  view layers and trying to set up something similar but hoping some more advanced user will know of a better way to set this up. Is there a way to have the abillity to switch (for example) shaders on an object but keep it in the same project?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2023 at 11:47 PM, Mike A said:

The lack of Takes was one of the things that prevented me from considering Blender.

Jeff already linked the Shot Manager addon. That is much more capable than C4D's Take System.

For simple tasks, you might get away with View Layers/Scenes.

6 hours ago, RobertH said:

Jeff already linked the Shot Manager addon. That is much more capable than C4D's Take System.

Ah sorry. That's great to hear. I somehow missed Jeff's post...sorry Jeff!

10 hours ago, RobertH said:

Indeed he did and I looked at it. Unless I'm misunderstanding it's capabilities, it doesn't seem to offer the option to modify object parameters per take, eg: position, scale, rotation of objects within the scene, as well as material / lighting / camera changes etc. Or does it?

If it doesn't, it certainly isnt better than the C4D takes system for my needs. If it does, and I've misunderstood, please let me know.

13 hours ago, Mike A said:

Indeed he did and I looked at it. Unless I'm misunderstanding it's capabilities, it doesn't seem to offer the option to modify object parameters per take, eg: position, scale, rotation of objects within the scene, as well as material / lighting / camera changes etc. Or does it?

If it doesn't, it certainly isnt better than the C4D takes system for my needs. If it does, and I've misunderstood, please let me know.

It does. You can switch materials, show/hide objects, set Cameras, set Frameranges and so on. You can even assemble your own folder structure.

2 hours ago, Mike A said:

And change object position, scale and rotation?

Thanks for the info I'll take another look.

PSR probably not. But not sure about that. There may be ways. 🙂

1 hour ago, RobertH said:

PSR probably not. But not sure about that. There may be ways. 🙂

If you cant do the basics, then how does that make it much more capable than c4d's system? The only shortcomings of c4ds take system from my experience is occasional bugginess (deleting a take can remove unrelated take data), confusing names for tools (lock overrides, wut?) and poor animation support.