Cinema 4D To Zbrush Question

muhchris

Scenario:

Within Cinema 4D, I create six individual Sphere mesh, (irrelevant, but, in the shape of a figure).

If, at this point, I Export the six mesh out of Cinema 4D, to an FBX, and then load that FBX within Zbrush, using the Import function, when I drag my mouse within Zbrush, the actual figure appears, just as I had assembled it in Cinema 4D, as would be expected, and I now also have six individual SubTools listed.

So far, this is exactly what I want.

However, if instead of Exporting to an FBX from within Cinema 4D, I instead use the GoZ Export To Zbrush option, Zbrush opens, but when I drag my mouse to create the figure, all I get is the head. (See the video).

Am I missing something? Maybe using the Export To Zbrush option does not work in the same manner as importing the FBX straight into Zbrush.

https://i.imgur.com/TTqhgho.mp4

• 2 weeks later...

HAPPYPOLYGON, thank you for the input.

Maybe I need to fully learn Zbrush.

You know, as a general rule, I am an immensely positive individual, but I have to admit, it is as though they wrote Zbrush on another planet, and then, brought it to Earth.

In my years of working with CG, just recently did I find the need to have to do some work in a sculpting environment. So, I did my research, and of course there are less intimidating, less advanced programs to use to do sculpting. However, Zbrush shines as the, "de-facto standard" by the mass populous, so why not take the leap, and dive head first. Best to have it under my belt.

I have used a number of programs through the years, in various pipelines, and I am safe in saying, that almost all CG programs follow the same procedures, as far as (keystroke/mouse combinations) to achieve spinning, dollying, zoom in/out, etc., which makes it very nice to bounce between various programs, and, to learn those other programs far more intuitively.

...not Zbrush.

My research has, in fact, led me to understand why this is, in that, Zbrush, predominately, was designed for Tablets, as opposed to a PC, or a Mac.

My learning process of Zbrush, truly has been a linear, "one step forward, two steps back". Every time you think you finally have a certain procedure down pat, the next time you go to call on that same procedure again, for some reason it does not work this time.

It is a unique beast under all the DCCs indeed. It does things in its own way yes. 

The reason for that is that it originally was a 2.5D painting program that later added full 3D Workflows and never really redesigned itself for it. It took them 20 years to implement a gizmo ;).

But its power also comes from that origin.

I myself hope Maxon turns it onto its head and rebuilds UX. But there are also long term user who exactly like it the way it is. Difficult to say.

Where do you get stuck?

• Customer
21 hours ago, muhchris said:

My research has, in fact, led me to understand why this is, in that, Zbrush, predominately, was designed for Tablets, as opposed to a PC, or a Mac.

On the contrary. In fact most CG sculptors use PC's. The difference from the rest of us is that they use styluses. A medium-grade Wacom can work miracles. No mouse can replicate a good flow brush-stroke no matter how far you set the Stroke Smoothness. Plus you won't rely too much on keyboard shortcuts as Wacom let's you assign commands to your stylus or pad buttons. So depending your type of work you can set your 5 most used actions literary on your fingertips, drawing, pushing, erasing and changing your pen's width seamlessly.

As for the UI you are right. For me it's too crowded, the letters are too small, size slivers are almost pixel-sized and not all buttons have the same size. It's like old Blender but in orange. I think the UI gets harder as you increase your monitor resolution. I haven't used ZBrush since 2012. All I know is from videos with Elli

Yeah, I think the only people who like that UI are the ones who have had 20 years trying to get used to it, and finally have ! I'm sort of waiting for Maxon to 'This is the way' on a new one before I truly get  to grips with it... 

CBR

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community