MAXON May Sale special!

Hrvoje

• Hrvoje pinned this topic
1 hour ago, MJV said:

Well it's rediculously overpriced to begin with.

A year's Cinema 4D commercial is less than 1/3 the cost of a year's Maya full commercial, even before the discount. I that so terrible ?

£462 for a year with the discount seems pretty decent to me.

7 hours ago, Decade said:

A year's Cinema 4D commercial is less than 1/3 the cost of a year's Maya full commercial, even before the discount. I that so terrible ?

The terrible thing is they are all terrible now because you can't own anything anymore. I bought a used version of  C4D  v5  for $500 used with no transfer fee years ago and still can probably run it if needed. I own it. Paying for stuff you don't own is nuts but everyone is just nihilistically assuming it must just be this way and going along. Google the Right to Repair movement. Even the makers of physical products now want to make you pay a subscription fee to use the thing you bought. It's obscene.

15 hours ago, Decade said:

Maya Indie is U$305, so C4D is still more expensive even with the discount.

I wish they would bring back C4D prime and/or the standalone BodyPaint 3D.

19 hours ago, Unstable said:

Kind of disappointing that the sale is not for renewals, but only new licenses. 

As expected. They want to tempt you through the door with one handle. Easy to get in, hard to get out.

22 hours ago, Decade said:

We have to think about the value over the years. If we take the last 5 years, what did we get for a total of approx. $4000? was it worth it? 

And how much cash did we spend on add-ons to keep Cinema 4D up to date, to overcome its weaknesses? most likely a third party render engine (Octane), probably also a particle system (X-Particles), maybe a texturing software (Substance) or more advanced dynamic simulation (Houdini) ... What was the price of these extras for 5 years? another $4000? That brings us to a massive $8000. Again, is it worth it? 

And what about the alternative solutions? Do we really need Cinema 4D? Is it still relevant? Are there not more powerful and/or easier ways of creating CG stuff these days? some even totally automatic(AI)?

13 hours ago, No One said:

Maya Indie is U$305, so C4D is still more expensive even with the discount.

I wish they would bring back C4D prime and/or the standalone BodyPaint 3D.

That's nice for hobbyists or certain freelancers in certain industries.

But I'll never work on a project that qualifies for the indie licence, nor will anyone else at the company where I work. It's just not a like-for like comparison. Even then, the Cinema 4D full commercial is only about 50% more on this offer than Maya's Indie, which seems pretty good value.

5 hours ago, EricNS said:

We have to think about the value over the years. If we take the last 5 years, what did we get for a total of approx. $4000? was it worth it? 

And how much cash did we spend on add-ons to keep Cinema 4D up to date, to overcome its weaknesses? most likely a third party render engine (Octane), probably also a particle system (X-Particles), maybe a texturing software (Substance) or more advanced dynamic simulation (Houdini) ... What was the price of these extras for 5 years? another $4000? That brings us to a massive $8000. Again, is it worth it? 

And what about the alternative solutions? Do we really need Cinema 4D? Is it still relevant? Are there not more powerful and/or easier ways of creating CG stuff these days? some even totally automatic(AI)?

Everyone is using multiple apps nowadays across most of film, TV & commercials. Z-Brush, Substance, Unreal etc, etc. All of the programs you mention are also going to need supplementing with other software too. That's just how things are now., doesn't matter what program you're using.

20 hours ago, MJV said:

The terrible thing is they are all terrible now because you can't own anything anymore. I bought a used version of  C4D  v5  for $500 used with no transfer fee years ago and still can probably run it if needed. I own it. Paying for stuff you don't own is nuts but everyone is just nihilistically assuming it must just be this way and going along. Google the Right to Repair movement. Even the makers of physical products now want to make you pay a subscription fee to use the thing you bought. It's obscene.

When Cinema went subscription only, I just stopped having my own licence. Now my boss pays the subscription instead.

36 minutes ago, Decade said:

When Cinema went subscription only, I just stopped having my own licence. Now my boss pays the subscription instead.

My solution has been to just use my old copy of R20. It has everything I need for most of my work but I sometimes need r21 features and am looking to buy a used r21 perpetual license but can't find one anywhere. 

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community