Need help with modelling a foldout matress

Hi all, 

I have been tasked with modelling this foldout mattress. 

I would like to model it and then perhaps rig it so that it can roll and unroll. It doesn't have to do this though, I probably wont be animating if I can get a solution that is animatable then so much the better.

Can any member tell me how I might go about making this?

I was thinking softbodies with pressure but I'm not sure which way to go with it. Getting it to look realistic is the main thing, I would like to keep some of the creases for realism but this doesn't have to be perfect..

Thanks 

Keith

Im loving being back at the Core.

1.jpg

image.jpeg

The great news is that this is pretty easy to model, and there are only a few goals in mind, which are:

1. Have enough poly resolution to accurately depict all the the details in the reference

2. Have extremely even topology so that simulation can work to best effect

3. Is 'watertight' so that inflation and softbody's can work properly

4. Will probably use mix animation to control the dynamic 'rolling' effect.

I'll pop back and show you the topology you need if I get time later...

CBR

Yep, so it's this kind of thing... nice even squares at just enough resolution to support the buttons and zip section, whilst remaining very even everywhere else.

image.thumb.png.7f0fa87288cf59b7d5efe2f34069ddb2.png

I have used 70% edge weighting on the perimeter loops so I can avoid adding thin control loops thereby affecting dynamic responsiveness, and before I simulate this I will apply 1 level of SDS to take account of this and nail it into the mesh ready for simulation. a further, L1-2 SDS would remain live, getting you your final ultra smooth mesh. So what you end up simulating is something along these lines...

image.thumb.png.2cb273a01e2b76db617d8052ad38df25.png

To roll this up, you can use the classic 'bend deformer offset angle' trick, thusly...

image.thumb.png.17b09bdd470e8589ad326d23c1810832.png

...or spline wrap if you want to deform it more unevenly like your reference above

The wrinkles and bulges and whatnot will occur naturally once you are simulating, presuming you are using the new cloth engine... btw - please update profile to show which version that is !

CBR

Hi Cerbera thank you for the very detailed solution.

I am going to put it into action immediately. I need to get my mesh to stage 1 first.

I have been playing with joints chains and deforming  but the bend deformer looks great. I didn't think i could bend stuff into a spiral with Bend Deformer. That is why I have  been using  joints. Im not getting quite what I need. I thought hypenurbs might smooth it.

I have been having a hard time with this one Cerbera. I am very grateful for the reply.

image.jpeg.2320a6a24f13c0e05c5b481e2f6572b7.jpeg

I'm a bit confused. 

Has the mode in the image been simulated or Is it ready to be simulated in cloth?

Either ways it good enough for what I need in your  example above but if  simulating will give me more realistic shape then that is great. 

When i have prepared my mesh, should I use balloon in the cloth tag? I have not used the new cloth system yet.

I'm using latest c4d with new cloth but I cant find where to update my profile details.

6 hours ago, Keith Vick said:

Has the mode in the image been simulated or Is it ready to be simulated in cloth?

Either ways it good enough for what I need in your  example above but if  simulating will give me more realistic shape then that is great. 

No, that was ready to simulate. I applied cloth / soft body tag shortly after that, and set force driven mix animation to 20. Some balloon inflation helped get a bulgier shape, but wasn't necessary I found and in the end I preferred it with that off, and fairly minimal soft body cross constraints.

I actually like your joints rig plan for the angular way it folds, hopefully that will work in much the same way as the bend did with mix animation.

CBR

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community