Changing spline inside of Cloner

Go to solution Solved by Zerosixtwosix,

Hello, 

I was wondering if anyone can help me figure this out. 

I am trying to create this spline setup:

I have a low poly model of a fish that I put into Voronoi Fracture and with the matrix object set as the source I split it half. After checking the Surface Break Edges I get an Edge Selection tag which I turn into a spline using the Edge Liner plugin which is pretty much the same as using Edge to Spline. I end up having this setup where I can move the model of the fish on the Z axis and it gives me a slice of it as a spline wherever the model is. image.thumb.png.95a82c5875d8321f7539cfaacb507f8a.pngimage.thumb.png.acc3a2c55cead8b93e2d83f011da1857.png

Now I re-sample this spline with MoSpline and add into the Spline Mask together with a rectangle. I want to mask half of the fish with the rectangle as if it was half submerged underwater. Imagine the rectangle being the water. 

image.thumb.png.9a5a99cfe1aed2fc828c2c4ef20db5b7.png

At this point moving the fish works as it should, I still get a nice slice. I want to be able to clone this setup on the Z axis and still be able to move the fish through the clones. Basicaly I want to be able to modify each clone seperately. 

When I try to clone it what I get instead is the exact same clone. 

image.thumb.png.7b4112d3333e7eae32ebc74410b6ccaf.png

Each clone is supposed to be a peace of paper layered on next to each other. I want to be able to animte the model of the fish as it jumps in and out of water. I hope that makes sense.

My question is, is there a fault in my hierarchy? Should I approach this completely differently? Is it even possible to do this?

I want this setup to be as parametric as possible. At the moment it's only the model of the fish that's editable. Preferably I would like to use splines. I'm tackling this one thing at the time, but later I would also like to apply a Bend deformer and have each page unfold before the fish swims through it. 

Test_Scene_Fish_Spline.c4d  -  Here's the project file in case someone wants to take a stab at it. There's two setups, one using Edge Liner and the other Edge to Spline. 

Any help would be really appreceated. 

Thanks!

Thanks! That's an interesting way to look at it. I don't know if I fully understand this, but the problem with this is that each clone is still the same, even though their position is changing. 
I would like to be able to move the model in Z space and for each clone to reference the cross section based on the position of the model. image.thumb.png.938ed83b5ad1649ae8c07d183daf4671.png

Like this. So each clone would have a different portion of the fish. But this need to work in the cloner, at the moment I just increased the count on the matrix object to convey the idea. 

Also, just out of curiousity, what is History depth meant to do?

• Customer
11 minutes ago, Better Call Paul said:

Also, just out of curiousity, what is History depth meant to do?

It creates an instance of the object in time. In other words brings a ghost form of the frame past.

12 minutes ago, Better Call Paul said:

I would like to be able to move the model in Z space and for each clone to reference the cross section based on the position of the model. 

I thought you needed that particular cross-section to be laid forward in a time-lapse photograph style. In other words layers of how the spline changes through time.

25 minutes ago, Better Call Paul said:

But this need to work in the cloner

Why do you need to do it like this ? You can still use one spline to cut multiple splines.

image.png.457b273b91be65b05e41fe8128bf051f.png

My plugin connects all splines as one that's why the mess at the bottom.... Does that happen to you also ?

Do you need to also have the cutting rectangle animate ? Other than that I don't see any reason why the operation should happen inside each clone. 

29 minutes ago, keppn said:

Maybe Rocketlasso's 'Slicer' would be handy here?

That plugin does the same thing +100$. But does offer some less setup and configuration. But it's basically a Voronoi Fracture inside an Edge to Spline inside a Thicken...

I'm trying to achieve something like this: 

image.thumb.png.af26f433c0a728ef21dcc7bb73c7c828.png

image.thumb.png.c640451b4b7e4e126ce102b2cee608ea.png

image.png.ea11b3855a516e0efe4e4eefcf8cb6ea.png 

The problem with this is that I'm using two different cloners and the fish is intersecting with paper. I would like it to be the same object. 

Also this setup is fairly slow. 

I tried another setup like this:

image.thumb.png.5a982f6823fe191512bac25f87d0282b.png

image.png.facd60a7280bfd0dbd3568b96deb9e11.png

In this setup I'm using a Boole twice. I use Boole to create a shape with the cube and the fish that I then Bool out of my cloner object. 

The problem with this is that it's also quite slow and Boole seems to be quite unreliable and gives me weird results as I move the fish around. 

I would also like to be able to reduce some detail to make it more paper-like. As if the fish is cut out of paper. 

This is why I thought making it with splines might be a better and faster way. I tested it and Bend deformer seems to work quite well, the problem is that in these setups above Boole is at the top of the hierarchy so it's not being cloned unlike in the spline setup. I wonder if there's a way to tell cloner to to look at the fish globaly. Sort of like adding noise in the Shader Effector. You can set the Space to World and it will apply noise as a whole instead of cloning it. 

Hope that makes sense. 

image.png.01b362a3620e1cfb6d9bff10df88976b.png

1 hour ago, HappyPolygon said:

My plugin connects all splines as one that's why the mess at the bottom.... Does that happen to you also ?

Yea it does. I'm not sure why. I also don't underst why my Spline Mask set to Union gives me the line in the middle. 

image.thumb.png.9c3a4b517b03dd21fa3ef008c5340968.png

• Customer
5 hours ago, Better Call Paul said:

I also don't underst why my Spline Mask set to Union gives me the line in the middle. 

Maybe one of the splines is not set to Closed Spline... or the Spline Mask works on the wrong Axis.

In your screenshots I don't see the Edge Liner plugin, is it not a procedural generator ? The Edge to Spline is free from Noseman and probably works in 2023

video with plugin link

Now that I've seen the whole concept scene, the way I would approach this is that I would bool the original fish with the original sea geometry (which I think you make waves using a Shader Deformer). 

This way you don't have to deal with booling multiple splines, just one geometry. Then proceed with VoronoiF on the booled fish. I don't think you'll ever see intersections this way. If you do, just bool with the "negative" sea a bit further up.

If you see weird artifacts with the bool try testing some combination of these two parameters image.png.c771493332cc3fc879140cd187604959.png

why wouldn't it help?   You apply your clipping material to the cloner.   You can then animate either the cloner or the object if you want the effect animated.  I know Arnold has the same thing as I remember using it a few years back.   I would imagine Redshift has something similar.

image.thumb.png.a6b7b01e8476fcac54060e0341a08622.png

This was the vp.. forgot to add it the SS
image.thumb.png.411542f663ac805d31748a211ea3e3c7.png

Wow, I had no idea about the clipping materials.

Thanks so much for all your help! This approach worked quite well. What's nice about it is that It's very fast to animate and I can add the Clipping Mat on the Null and change the Geometry inside it to get different variations. That's awesome!

I made a big cube that covers the whole scene and applied my shader effector to create waves. I then intersected the fish and the cube and put it into Boole to get this clipping geo. 

image.thumb.png.7ea1ffa8d18483bcec8da3f229ad6b92.png

image.thumb.png.ab1cffef294301085c00cac8eb806bc5.png

Then I made my sea clones quite a bit higher and intersected the Boole setup with it. I added the Clipping Mat to the Boole setup. 

image.thumb.png.ea80407698b9d73b0b3c941046ec7603.png

image.png.c732b4b7e86cbfdc8dce6de5d41e5d28.png

Then in Octane I get the resault I was looking for and even though the Boole makes it a tad slower, it's still miles faster and easier to work with than what I had before. I'm sure there's probably a better way of creating the clipping geo, but this works too!

image.thumb.png.200130dd11bfbd46f9932113ccad1c0e.png

image.thumb.png.fd2efd9aca06613e943a2cf3e8a22ec6.png

The only thing to figure out now is how to texture the fish. 

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community