Leaving or staying with C4D for what and why?

Fastbee

yes, they develop BP.

open C4DR17\Exchange Plugins\maya\Win\maya 2016\  or max folder ... :oops:, somebody need this outdated software, MAXON, where are your planet?

or i forgot about retro-fans

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, let's make this simpler.

My request is that you call the Citadel of Corporate Silence in Germany and ask permission to choose one of the following -

A. We are currently working on an improved or new version of Bodypaint. We can't commit to a release date but it is in the works.

B. We have no current plans to improve or replace Bodypaint.

Now explain to me why your superiors would not let you make one of those statements. Your competitors don't care one bit, their UV and painting tools are generally superior to the existing Bodypaint. They're not going to change their development plans on the basis of either of those answers. You could argue that if the answer is A, sales of the current version of Bodypaint would take a nosedive but you could remedy that by offering a credit for the new version when it's released to anyone purchasing the current Bodypaint after a certain date.

We don't get it. What's with the secrecy?

For what it's worth, I came back to C4D after taking a break post R15. (I've been using it since 5.5). The deal to upgrade from R15 to R17 was too good to pass up.In the interim, I spent a lot of time using Modo and getting up to speed with it's workflow. I think it has some wonderful tools and absolutely amazing renderer, but in the heat of battle, I'll take C4D. It comes down to how confident I feel in the software to get the job done when time is tight. The Takes system might not be the sexiest thing in the world of software, but I look at it and see massive amounts of time saved. Modo has similar functionality, but it is spread out across the interface and very prone to user error. Modo 901 has some great new features that I'll continue to use, but there is similar discontent on the Modo forums about stability (and rightly so). Likewise, they seem to be suffering some communication problems -at least pre 901 rollout; Brad used to do a weekly podcast, but has seriously curtailed the frequency since merging with The Foundry. While I'm sure a weekly address to users is very time consuming, it has definite value. I certainly would like it if C4D live was a weekly occurrence again (or maybe it still is and I just stopped getting the reminder emails!). 

Rick, If you really listen to us I think you and MAXON perfectly know what we all want to hear or to have, there were enough threads and requests not only recently but for years now. Repeating 10x the same things is indeed frustrating, no more talk now, let's move on. 

What I really wish is that I had the same positive feelings towards MAXON that I do towards Cineversity. Cineversity is consistently offering something new and useful to me. And what it offers always seems to be in line with my needs as a user. I just renewed my subscription and I get such a positive feeling having done so - what a great value! I've barely scratched the surface of the offerings over there.

That's what I want - a MAXON that's modeled on the Cinversity customer relations model.

Is that too much to ask?

A trip to Germany is necessary? Peeling away the curtain? 

The point of the trip to Germany is to make sure there's universal buy-in on a new communication strategy and that we're all on the same page. As I replied above, it's important to me that we be able to back up what we say, and not just make empty promises.

That said, I can tell you this:

A. We are currently working on an improved or new version of BodyPaint. We can't commit to a release date but it is in the works.

MAXON Product Management was actively seeking user feedback regarding BodyPaint at Siggraph and in studio visits the following week. I think most of you have already made your feedback known, but if you'd like you're welcome to put it in another thread or PM me and I'll pass it along.

What I really wish is that I had the same positive feelings towards MAXON that I do towards Cineversity. Cineversity is consistently offering something new and useful to me. And what it offers always seems to be in line with my needs as a user. I just renewed my subscription and I get such a positive feeling having done so - what a great value! I've barely scratched the surface of the offerings over there.

That's what I want - a MAXON that's modeled on the Cinversity customer relations model.

Is that too much to ask?

Wow. Thanks. As one of the main people behind Cineversity, that's what I'm working towards as well.

For starters, I'd like to know if MAXON is planning to have their own forum.

I don't have such information or any indication at this moment but it is certainly not impossible.

...You have to fly to Germany to get clearance to choose one of those options? That's ridiculous

Did you consider that there are many other reasons which are here undisclosed for Rick to get into Germany? People are often oblivious to matters that don't concern them.

We don't get it. What's with the secrecy?

Secrecy has it's reason. Did you ever consider that? Think about it.

Folks, this topic is simply revolving around users constantly and almost aggressively demanding a company to reveal it's strategy, development plans, technological advancements and secrets and no answer apart from direct laid out roadmap, full feature list for several releases won't make people happy. This is not going to happen or at least it won't happen overnight. Companies in Germany, and in Europe in general are not so open and often don't have spoke persons, it is simply cultural difference. They simply keep things for themselves. All companies have secrets and that is what is keeping them in business. In my experience, almost always, when company reveals it's cards and plays the "we are social media aware and modern company which talks to users" card, then I am sure they have no groundbreaking technology and no breakthrough to offer.

So, instead of closing down this thread, I will rather strongly urge that members keep their posts around original title and discuss why would they leave C4D or not, and can we please, for god sake stop with this bullying where few individuals think they have the right to say a whole company on what it should and how it should do things, not to mention how difficult it is for people who happen to work for MAXON who must take this personally since every attack on MAXON is attack on their intelligence, hard work, contribution in forums in their own private time and desire to bring some peace into minds of many who simply can't get over the fact that they don't know what is cooking inside MAXON.

MAXON Product Management was actively seeking user feedback regarding BodyPaint at Siggraph and in studio visits the following week. I think most of you have already made your feedback known, but if you'd like you're welcome to put it in another thread or PM me and I'll pass it along.

Rick, with all due respect, I think since BP hasnt been updated in a long time, the user feedback from it would be "antiquated" (because its a 10 year old workflow I believe?). Perhaps you guys should see how painting is being done currently in other softwares.

From my humble point of view, it should share some tools with sculpting, perhaps both should go in the same layout, to make people comfortable with doing both sculpting and / or painting. Symmetry (and radial symmetry) should be a must also. Also, corel particle painting is lots of fun. We could have something like that.

You could also add the new functionality from the new color system, to add a base color theme onto the painted object,with their own color chips, like a "smart gradient" driven by shadow value/ height value/ light or camera based to "auto paint" a base color theme, so we as artists can have an idea of how it would look like (like how sketches are done, where you can see the color chips used in the drawing for fill light/ ambient light/ shadows). This could help us deciding the final look of our model.

Also, if you integrate it with sculpting, you can add the variation effect to "clone sculping", to have dragon scales or fish scales painted and sculpted at the same time.

I hope my english can make sense.

Archived