Leaving or staying with C4D for what and why?

Fastbee

Folks, this topic is simply revolving around users constantly and almost aggressively demanding a company to reveal it's strategy, development plans, technological advancements and secrets and no answer apart from direct laid out roadmap, full feature list for several releases won't make people happy.

It has been stated several times now that no-one is expecting any of that.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been stated several times now that no-one is expecting any of that.

But what if you can't know anything at all? What if revealing anything is simply not a smart business move?
How about you tell me your business plans for following years? Complete roadmap. So, where will you live? What will you do? Have a mortgage? Can I know something about your private life? Wife? Kids?
:)
Those are the kind of questions you are asking to be answered.

And I often find it incredible how people give advice to someone who made the software what it should do, how it should work and similar. It is like informing a parent about his child. Completely astounding. Similar to where people say mechanics know cars better than engineers but forget that mechanic would not have a car to repair if there wasn't for that engineer in first place. In the case of software we are talking about large groups of highly educated, experienced and talented designers, guru C4D users, programmers, with deep coding, incredible math and other relevant knowledge skillsets that exceed by far anything you will ever hear or read on forums.

@arail
Yes, because I saw so many silly statements in this topic that it is simply incredible to see that grown up, intelligent people, who have enough mental power to produce digital content with 3D application can reach and post such, forgive me for saying, juvenile conclusions about MAXON, people who work there and company policies.

But what if you can't know anything at all? What if revealing anything is simply not a smart business move?How about you tell me your business plans for following years? Complete roadmap. So, where will you live? What will you do? Have a mortgage? Can I know something about your private life? Wife? Kids? :)
Those are the kind of questions you are asking to be answered.

I'll say again, it has repeatedly been stated that we don't expect these kind of things. And it's also been pointed out on many occasions that other software companies are capable of keeping their users appraised of their future plans and it doesn't seem to be hurting their business.

I'll say again, it has repeatedly been stated that we don't expect these kind of things. And it's also been pointed out on many occasions that other software companies are capable of keeping their users appraised of their future plans and it doesn't seem to be hurting their business.

But not all companies are same and that may not apply to MAXON. The number of companies that are secretive is exceeding the others by far.

This reminds me on thread I have read on one motorcycle company forum. People simply wanted to know if certain motorcycle which is planned for 2016 will have X feature. Response was of course no due to company policy and not a single person objected...

Few people's businesses depend on the capabilities of an upcoming motorcycle model so the fact the no-one complained is meaningless in the context of this thread.

Folks, this topic is simply revolving around users constantly and almost aggressively demanding a company to reveal it's strategy, development plans, technological advancements and secrets and no answer apart from direct laid out roadmap, full feature list for several releases won't make people happy. This is not going to happen or at least it won't happen overnight. Companies in Germany, and in Europe in general are not so open and often don't have spoke persons, it is simply cultural difference. They simply keep things for themselves. All companies have secrets and that is what is keeping them in business. In my experience, almost always, when company reveals it's cards and plays the "we are social media aware and modern company which talks to users" card, then I am sure they have no groundbreaking technology and no breakthrough to offer.

We surely don't ask to MAXON to reveal all their strategy, development plans, technological advancements and secrets. Don't offence but what you say is caricatural, it's all about communication and I'm afraid you completely miss the point, I hope your colleagues don't think like you otherwise it's going to be a challenge for Rick in Germany. 

I hope this changes. I hope the Cineversity guys can make a difference when they meet in Germany. 

jwiede has articulated my sentiments perfectly in his posts. I won't pile on to say much more. 

There is one thing far worse than customers ranting on this forgum and at the cgforum:
That's the silence (or sound of lonely crickets) if many of us leave. I really don't want that to happen.  I want MAXON to succeed.

But what if you can't know anything at all? What if revealing anything is simply not a smart business move? ...

Is it? Saying nothing could also hurt business. Years ago, I switched to 3D-Coat for sculpting and, soon after, for painting. This year I bought Mari, since I moved some of my activities to modo. On the other hand I cancelled my MSA. R15 and R16 were just catching dust on my shelf.  After the TR/TRS disaster and with MAXON being almost invisible during the crisis, I had no more enthusiasm to disrupt a working software setting (R14). Doing mostly MoGraph and TP in C4D the last few upgrades didn't help me to speed up my workflow, more the opposite.

I'm in a stand-by mode at the moment. As soon as MAXON delivers functionality that helps me do my work, I will immediately upgrade. But, while waiting, I spend more and more and more time in other applications, finding my way towards my goals there. There could be a time, when I will no longer see the necessity to upgrade C4D at all.

For me, ugrading Bodypaint would be a complete waste of resources. If they didn't start yet, they could definitively do more useful things.

But, I'm well aware that MAXON doesn't care at all, what my decision will be. They are doing so well, at the moment, with their present strategy. If I were them, I wouldn't change a thing. And I'm pretty sure, they know very well, what's best for them.

cheers

celke

I just want to point out that HSrdelic's opinions are his own and not those of MAXON.

The people I've spoken to within MAXON, including most of the key decision makers, are all in agreement that our communication practice needs to change.

Archived