C4D future info & development

jwiede

So the new blog posting is out.  Basically it talks briefly about licensing options, and the salient content is that MAXON is exploring subscription approaches though they are committed to offering perpetual licenses.  Ho hum.  There wasn't even any elaboration on the approaches considered.

Gotta say, I'm not very impressed, either by the quantity or quality of info in either of the (brief) postings thus far.   Seriously, they spent months planning and preparing, and these are postings they use to kick off the blog?  The initial post might have been okay if followed by, say, a strong, informative post about their development directions, but that didn't happen.  What was posted instead felt like "the same old MAXON", and that's disheartening to say the least.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, I felt pretty harshly-treated reading the latest blog post.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the positive side we've got names and faces to put to the people who are completely out of touch with their customers.

It wouldn't surprise me if the monthly subscription cost will be a 12th of the MSA cost...

god that post.. there was like 90% of filler words... could've written the whole thing in two lines.

we planning on introducing subscription model. but don't worry we keeping the perpetual licenses. Oh yeah and maybe we are gonna have a global licensing system soon. 

seems more like a tweet than a blog post :) 

If they are interested i would love to help them out in this department. I've generally recently realized that i would like to work for MAXON as a general direction in my life. I love their software. and would love to contribute to its development. Both practical use cases and relative to reaching out to the public. so if you know anyone who to put in a good word with. I'd appreciate it :D

Yes another disappointing blog post. What's up for our next post, a newly revised EULA, authored by the legal dept.

28 minutes ago, SIgor said:

Well, don't blame those faces, I am sure its not up to them. MAXON policy I would say is harsh. 

Igor

If you can't blame those faces, who can you blame.

9 minutes ago, Jimh said:

Yes another disappointing blog post. What's up for our next post, a newly revised EULA, authored by the legal dept.

If you can't blame those faces, who can you blame.

Those who made rules! I am sure if you go to work at Maxon you would have restriction, what you can and cant say, simple as that. Why would you even want to blame someone like you or me?! If we think like that, than I should be mad at Hrvoje, just becasue he can't share anything with me, whats the point. 

Igor

The first two blog posts were both written by C-level corporate officers (CEO and CFO, respectively) for MAXON Germany.  They are both managing partners.  They are absolutely the people responsible for making and enforcing the rules that govern all day-to-day company operations for MAXON.

Unlike Hrvoje, they are not "rank and file MAXON employees" in any meaningful/useful sense of the term.

Oh dear. Two posts in and the MAXON blog is already a sad example of complete irrelevance and missed opportunities.

Two of the top guys at MAXON had their chance, going into the new year to show the customers a different side of MAXON, come out with something perhaps a bit personal, some cool anecdotes from the history of MAXON, perhaps acknowledging some of the frustations of (parts of) the userbase and reassuring them, and possibly lifting a tip of the veil of what's going on behind the scenes of development.

What we got instead almost could not have been more corporate, impersonal and out of touch if they tried.

I must also have missed the part where he talked about any "opportunities" or "challenges", which is odd considering the title of the post.

"Last year was awesome. We are awesome, and leaders! Lets continue to be awesome! Here's a subscription model for our super special 30 year anniversary!" is not a "challenge", nor an "opportunity".

Hats of to you MAXON.

To paraphrase Winston Churchill:

Never before have I seen an opportunity to win back some goodwill so spectacularly wasted by so few in such a short time.

*slow clapping*

22 minutes ago, King of Snake said:

You do realise who the authors of the those two posts are right? (CEO & Managing Partner + CFO & Managing Partner).

They ARE the policy :)

Does anybody still believe there's a crack team of developers hidden away in secret busily preparing the next generation C4D under these guy's leadership? I think it shows why TRS happened.

The recent hiring of developers looks like they've only just woken up to GPU and multithreading so there's going to be years waiting for the performance other apps and plugins are providing today.

This blog seems to be an additional corporate mouthpiece aimed at investors rather than customers. Investors want vague feel good patronising BS about the challenges and the way forward, customers want detail. The blog was supposed to appeal to customers. The challenges MAXON perceives are those from investors who might be pi$$ed off if a subscription based service drastically reduces income and the real challenge will be to continue fleece the customer whichever payment method they choose. $Monthly Subs = $MSA/12 i.e. to make the monthly subs so unattractive that you'll be glad there's still a perpetual license MSA...

If these two post's are indicative of the future output then MAXON might as well close the blog and forget all about because this is not what customers want or hoped they would be getting.

• Guest unpinned this topic
  • Guest locked this topic

Archived