Cycles for C4D

39 minutes ago, docphibs said:

I have the same problems too after downloading the demo. I'm lighting just a sphere and it takes foreeeever for the ipr to update. This doesn't happen I'm using cycles in Blender though. So seems like it could be fixed for c4d.

maybe , and it is not hardware related because aronld IPR work like a charm with very heavy scenes on my hardware .

BTW , are you using Mac or PC ?maybe this have something to do with it ...

I am using mac (os x yosemete )

1 hour ago, maliohammad said:

maybe , and it is not hardware related because aronld IPR work like a charm with very heavy scenes on my hardware .

BTW , are you using Mac or PC ?maybe this have something to do with it ...

I am using mac (os x yosemete )

Yea I'm using yosemite but on el capitan. 10.11.6 - imac core i7 3.4 ghz.

this works totally fine in blender cycles just not in cycles4d. so i don't think it's hardware issue.

I can get very basic scenes and even some demo scenes to render reasonably fast in the Live Render window (10.11.6), but I must be using the wrong combination of settings because some of their demo files and XP presets won't load at all, and in all cases a certain amount of graininess always remains after letting it go for a minute or two. It's like it refines the view up to a point then just stops. But it's not always a case of low sample count. Even if I bump it way up, the graininess sorta "sticks" after 8 or 10 passes. But again most likely user err-or. That and/or something to do with the Mac. Using CPU not OpenCL.

6 hours ago, docphibs said:

Yea I'm using yosemite but on el capitan. 10.11.6 - imac core i7 3.4 ghz.

this works totally fine in blender cycles just not in cycles4d. so i don't think it's hardware issue.

The core engine is identical, take a look at the settings between Cycles in Blender and Cycles 4D, possibly some are different. If you are still finding it slow jump over to our forum and we can help you find why: http://forum.cycles4d.net/

Thanks.

Downloaded the demo and installed in R18.  No other installs were performed (e.g. it was not installed on R17, R16 which also reside on my machine). All was working fine  until Win10 went through a huge update today (Win 10.1607)  and now I get this message when I activate C4D:

Seat Count Issue.JPG

I sent a support request to Insydium but the acknowledgement message states that technical support for the Demo is limited and could take up to 5 days for a  response.  So I thought I would post here and the Insydium forum in case anyone else ran into this problem and has an answer.

Thanks,

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

Not so sure about CPU since I'm on GPU, but I have noticed that if I don't pause the preview viewer and quickly change the settings to CUDA before I open a scene, my copy of C4D completely freezes up. I have to go to Task Manager on Windows 10 to close the app. Not sure if it's a bug.

Starting to see how this tool will be valuable in visualizing particle design setups, although I still feel like I'm wandering in the dark a bit. From those who have tried it are there certain modifiers or setup types in XP that will not preview in Cycles4D without a special setup? I'll have to head over to the support forum too but thought I'd ask here first since many people are probably trying the same things to start out.

I like to take prebuilt systems and preview / modify them, sort of like when you take a demo system and take it apart to figure out how it worked in the first place.

8 hours ago, BigAl3D said:

@INSYDIUM I've registered twice for a link to download a demo of Cycles, but haven't seen anything. Spam folder or not. ???

Hm, I don't know what's gone wrong there, the process is automatic so shouldn't have been missed. Sorry about that. Please contact our sales team via the contact form on our site and they'll sort it out for you. If after that you still don't hear anything get back to me and I'll look into it.

Steve

So, I saw that on my imac at home it was user error on my part. It started to work - I simply just had to make the "size" in the live viewer somewhere below 50% otherwise it was extremely slow. It's still pretty slow on the cpu even then. It's strange though - I really do not have any issues with speed when I use cycles in Blender. If I set Blender's viewport to render - it's pretty darn fast. I still haven't delved to deep into that issue though so again - could be user error...

Regardless, I started using the demo at the office on a GPU box. And it's WAY faster obviously on the GPU's. 3x980ti's and it's pretty nice. I feel whoever wrote above though that it doesn't seem AS fast as Octane is right. But there are some major plus's on Cycles side.

My quick take between pro/cons between octane / cycles

Cycles Pros:

-Way better node editor - (easily my favorite thing about this.)

-More malleable shaders - (again attributes to node graph.)

-Attribute node - (can access a LOT from selection tags / vertex tags you name it really.)

-Easier to art direct for non-photo real looks.

Cycles Cons:

-Seemingly not as fast. (I can't be sure about that but I'm pretty sure that's true and it feels true.)

-No camera imager like in octane. (I kinda find the camera imager in octane slightly gimmicky, but it does help to have it sometimes.)

-Render quality / photo realism isn't as strong as octane. (kinda the bread and butter of octane imo... you can't really cheat it)

-Not as artist friendly - (not really for the person who's not an advanced user)

- Can't really see what my graphic cards are doing (I love the priority settings in octane and information displayed to see what my cards are really doing - that's a big one for me)

There's a lot more to cycles i have yet to learn... still in a bit of a mystery about light path node but that seems like a powerful one. I'm actually really split down the middle with this though. I really enjoy using the nodes in cycles way more. The results are predictable too. But there are some things with Octane I really miss too. I really dunno which I'm going to buy for home / future freelance work.... PROBABLY BOTH.

lord help me.