Is e-on a dead company?

3D-Pangel

On 05/09/2016 at 0:57 PM, Vozzz said:

eon has never stuck me as a company that cares about its users.. 

if you arent a massive production company who can pay for programmer to be on site writing custom code for them,they dont wanna know. thats been obvious for at least last five years, ive seen quite a few users who produce wonderful stuff and i feel sorry for them now 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hdmedien
On 23.11.2016 at 10:01 AM, caliburn said:

if you arent a massive production company who can pay for programmer to be on site writing custom code for them,they dont wanna know. thats been obvious for at least last five years, ive seen quite a few users who produce wonderful stuff and i feel sorry for them now 

WARNING: I bought Carbon Scatter on Nov. 26, 2015 and have not been able to use it even once! All "priority support" tickets (see attachment) contained
promises to solve the problem, and after a while they were automatically closed for lack of response (from EONs side)! It is unbelievable, just have a look before you buy:

EON support.pdf

On 9/2/2016 at 11:07 AM, 3D-Pangel said:

So I have a few of e-on's products (Vue xStream, Carbon Scatter and The Plant Factory) and all of my 2016 maintenance contracts are coming up for renewal. So after the merger with Bentley Systems in September, 2015, e-on as a company really hasn't done much. Just look at their list of press releases. A big old fat white space next to 2016.

So given that the money I shelled out last year at this time netted me nothing in return in terms of updates, and e-on is really not communicating anything officially, I have to wonder if e-on is a dead company. 

Did I miss something? What is the word on the street concerning the future of this company?

Oh...and please remember this:  Regardless of what you may think of what MAXON puts into each release, they at least release something every year!!!!  Just thought I would offer that perspective.  

Thanks,
Dave

I was into Vue xStream up until about 4 years ago. I got put off by how they conducted their business and abandoned them. 

Are their forums still active? That should tell you a lot. If people aren't posting much...then it's likely the company is in trouble.

On 12/24/2016 at 4:47 AM, Icecaveman said:

I was into Vue xStream up until about 4 years ago. I got put off by how they conducted their business and abandoned them. 

Are their forums still active? That should tell you a lot. If people aren't posting much...then it's likely the company is in trouble.

e-on just released Vue 2016 and Plant Factory 2016.  The big new improvement is a heightfield terrains (with better erosion algorithms), GPU rendering, and better export capability.   Overall, it feels very R17-ish in its  feature list but I would imagine that either e-on wasted a lot of time with the Bentley merger and/or it takes a great deal of core rewriting to incorporate GPU rendering.   While they did release something, my concerns remain.  I also think the industry is moving away from them as well.  In their "showcase" section, they would constantly be showing the major movies Vue had been used on.  Well, the most recent movie listed is from 2012 (The Hunger Games).    That's a bit too old.  You would think they would keep that portion of their web-site up-to-date especially if they are slow on updating the software so I am inclined to think that Vue is not the de-facto go-to app for creating lush natural environments.

All-in-all, Vue is feeling more like Lightwave to me...both are struggling and losing their once prominent positions in the industry.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

On 12/28/2016 at 7:33 PM, 3D-Pangel said:

e-on just released Vue 2016 and Plant Factory 2016.  The big new improvement is a heightfield terrains (with better erosion algorithms), GPU rendering, and better export capability.   Overall, it feels very R17-ish in its  feature list but I would imagine that either e-on wasted a lot of time with the Bentley merger and/or it takes a great deal of core rewriting to incorporate GPU rendering.   While they did release something, my concerns remain.  I also think the industry is moving away from them as well.  In their "showcase" section, they would constantly be showing the major movies Vue had been used on.  Well, the most recent movie listed is from 2012 (The Hunger Games).    That's a bit too old.  You would think they would keep that portion of their web-site up-to-date especially if they are slow on updating the software so I am inclined to think that Vue is not the de-facto go-to app for creating lush natural environments.

All-in-all, Vue is feeling more like Lightwave to me...both are struggling and losing their once prominent positions in the industry.

Dave

Have you looked at Forester? It doesn't have all the world building...no terrains, skies, clouds... but I recommend you take a look if you haven't already.

12 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

Have you looked at Forester? It doesn't have all the world building...no terrains, skies, clouds... but I recommend you take a look if you haven't already.

Yes...I have Forester.  Purchased last last Christmas (2015) when they were giving it a really good discount.  One of the major reasons why I gave up on Plant Factory is because of Forester.  Much easier to use with quicker results in C4D.  Looking forward to Forester 2 (hopefully released later this year) where I hope they add local (rather than global) wind forces.  You can get wind effects out of Plant Factory into C4D but it requires either the top studio version (big money) or Vue xStream.    

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.