Thinking about NZ after major earthquake, thoughts are with you Nigel

bobc4d

Wow...well...on the plus side, it appears that you still have basic services like power and internet otherwise you would not be able to post to the cafe.  I would also assume that the rest of your family (children, parents, in-laws) have checked in an they are okay as well.  Next big question, are the roads in and out of town okay?  Will there be disruptions in food to the supermarkets, gas to the gas stations, etc.    I mean, you could be perfectly fine but still be in a pretty rough spot like these poor cows:

Capture.JPG

There is only so much grass left that they can eat!

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ITs terrible to think how quickly can something go away that you build for years, centuries! Mother Nature is still a boss around here, so scary when you think about it. 

On 11/14/2016 at 10:25 PM, SIgor said:

ITs terrible to think how quickly can something go away that you build for years, centuries! Mother Nature is still a boss around here, so scary when you think about it. 

Given all that shifting of land, I am waiting for the seismologists to determine if stress was relieved on the fault lines.   A chilling fact with the Haitian earthquake a few years back was that even though one coastline sunk 20 feet and the other coastline rose 18 feet, the fault line was completely intact.  No movement thus no stress relief.  Go back into the historical records and you read reports that Haiti had a big earthquake in the 1800's and then 20 years later a really massive earthquake occurred.   They are seeing repeat of that same pattern.  They call it the zipper effect where the tectonic stress shift along the fault line rather than get relieved and then build again to something even more horrific.

So again, hopefully the seismologists are looking into this and give an "all clear" for New Zealand.

Nigel...if you don't get the "all clear" I would look into moving to New Hampshire...we are the Granite State after all....nothing moves that much!!

Dave

P.S.  I wonder how WETA is doing?  You will probably hear that Jame Cameron is once again postponing Avatar 2...this time due to the earthquake!  ;-)

11 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

I'd love to come to the USA for a holiday and to do some cycling. One day but probably after I retire in 10 years time.

Hmmm.....I say we start a "Go Fund Me" page to "Bring Nigel to America" for some future Siggraph conference!!!  ;-)