Seamilar ... the sequel

dast

Thank you again for the Update! Great and easy to use plugin. Every addition gets the most useful tools to make UV'ing actually easy and fun again. Managed to unwrap a rifle yesterday using the new version 2.5 with multiple parts in less than 8 minutes. :signthankspin:

Love the plugin Daniel, just started using it today and it has already hugely speeded up my workflow. 

I've been using the Align tool a lot and have noticed it doesn't seem possible to manually select the components to align. This would be a useful feature if you do not wish to align a whole loop.

On a similar note it would be useful to have the components used by the align tool remain selected after the tool has been used to allow for quicker re-positioning after alignment if required.  At the moment you seem to have to re-select the components if you want to move them.

Hoping you might consider introducing these features in the near future.  Great plugin though, thanks for making it available.

Thanks for the feedback, Gezza. And apologies for a late reply.

It is true you cannot align by selected items. The align tool allows for its own interactive selection instead. The reason for this is to avoid having to perform quite some validation on the user-selected items when performing an align.

When only dealing with the align tool's interactive selection, that selection is sure to be valid, and also visually indicates what will be aligned. Additionally, due to the tool's possible options (parallel loops, parallel rings) there needs to be an interactive selection anyway.

More so, the interactive selection allows to specify which edge or polygon is to be the reference for the whole alignment to be performed.

As such, introducing alignment on selected items will require quite some work, while providing only a limit functionality to what is currently available via the interactive align selection.

I could indeed allow the items to remain selected after the align tool has been used (via an option in the Attribute Manager, or via an option/modifier key).

This would indeed allow for a quick repositioning after the alignment, without the need of re-selecting things.

Then I wonder why this small repositioning is required afterwards. You could also reposition the reference item being used for the alignment, before the alignment is performed. I agree this will probably not work for all scenarios and will consider your selection request for a next update.

On 4/15/2018 at 3:41 PM, bezo said:

Nice addition to plugin Daniel,

btw, could be added tiling option for user checkerboards? (since currently similar option only for default custom checker)

The default custom checker doesn't use a tiling option, it simply allows to indicate how many cells the checkerboard consists of.

Not sure I can introduce tiling in an easy way, but I understand the reason for wanting this.

Nothing promised, but I'll see what can be done in a future update.

• 3 months later...

Some of you might have noticed that my plugins are not available anymore at the C4DCafe Store.

I had requested Igor to temporarily disable or remove the plugins from the webshop.

Reason for this is that I did not want potential customer to purchase a pre-R20 version, expecting to have a working version when Cinema 4D R20 is released.

Since updating the plugins to R20 might require some time (once I have access to an R20 SDK), I had decided to make plugins available via the store only after their R20 version would be ready.

• 3 months later...

Looks great.  For me the biggest feature C4D is missing is the ability to overlap islands that are of more than one polygon.  Let's say we have a field of grass we made and want all the grass to share the same UV.  Having something automatically overlap the UV of all the grass would be great.  It could detect that they are all unconnected meshes using something similar to what select connected does and auto overlap all the UVs.  Having a manual way to get it to overlap UV islands would be great too as this would help overlap a mesh which is connected.  This would help with getting a mirror of UV to overlap or parts of the same character.  Lets say we wanted each finger of a character to share the same UVs.  Having a way to manually say overlap those UVs would be great.

Stacking UV islands is on my todo list ... next to so many other features. Cannot promise when any of these will become available in future update(s).

• 1 month later...

Seamilar and my other plugins are now available for R20, see blog post below

If you are looking for an easier way to do UV mapping than using the native tools, and don't need all the features available in Seamilar, you might want to look at EasyUV instead (coming soon). It is based on Seamilar but has less features, and as such will be less expensive.

• 5 weeks later...

Since last post I was working on a new feature, which I am very excited about. More about that later.

It took time to work out a design and required quite some supporting math to get the desired solution. Implementation is now mostly done, just not finalized yet.

However, I was recently contacted for a particular request, and have put the feature on the shelf (only for a while) as I assume this new request to be more useful on a long term.

Up till now Seamilar's manipulation of UVs (via points, edges, polygons, islands) was mainly focused on using interactive tools.

Soon the new numeric transform tool will be available, allowing to manipulate points, edges, polygons and islands via precise values.

For this to work the way I intended I had to construct a custom GUI component: ReferencePoint.

With this you will be able to move, rotate, scale, position, size items from the four corners of a bounding box, or its center.

For rotating, scaling and sizing you will also be able to perform the transformation actions on the whole set of selected items, or on the different islands separately.

For moving and positioning you will be able to specify any corner of the UV canvas as origin.

And when in Texture Display mode you will have the option to specify the transformation action in UV coordinates, or in pixel values.

1897684340_TransformTool-firstiteration.png.c18dd2c3ee2c2fce049fb89dfeff2ed2.png

The icon for this new tool needs some attention, as this one is just a placeholder during the work-in-progress.

I am currently finalizing the implementation of this tool. Followed with some more testing days ahead, before releasing an update.

(Maybe some porting to pre-R20 version of Seamilar, depending the interest)

After the release of the update I'll continue working on the other feature.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community